MNScuba.com

Full Version: Ice diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I drove by Minnetonka yesterday and there was ice over grays bay. Not to much longer and we can start punching holes. Smile
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the class this winter.  It sounds interesting to try.  Besides, the water is warmer than the air now.
Not ice certified and I don't even own a drysuit.  In fact, I am working on getting re-certified OW after a 30 year layoff.  However, this is something I'm interested in attempting some day.

I get up MN way now and then (brother lives just south of the Cities).  Is it acceptable to tag along on one of these events to observe?  I wield a mean snow shovel, so I could be of some use, if that's a requirement. Smile
I'm being taunted by a Whites Drysuit, so I may have a suit soon, but with not much experience, dunno if I would want to do more than just watch. Sad

Granted, you guys took me down 2.5 X deeper than my deepest dive, so this may be another time to stretch my experience Wink
I will probably get 15 to 20 ice dives in. Last year was a little weak at 11 and I missed a few chances to get out so this year I have a house. Those open holes are fine if it's 10 or better but Dave and I did an open hole at 1 degree and wind to -10. That's starting to get to cold for open holes.

Anyone that's certified ice and preferably experienced can come out with us and dive. I say experienced as none of us are instructors so you'll need to bring reasonable skills.  If your not certified you can still come out and see how all of it work. We could use the conversation.

Doug, if you think you got a site, let me know. I'll suit up and pull my sled if we get 4-6 inches of good ice.

Hey Dudes!
                          Count me in! Looks like with 17 below coming open water might only be in the hot tub.        T
I just need the ice to get a little thicker. I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to ice.

You stick with us Doug, we'll keep you safe, just like on board the Impulse!
I feel better all ready Big Grin
If I walk out, I put the suit on first.

I was reading some ice safety and they say to drill a hole next to the heaviest load and then monitor the water level, if the ice starts to sag you will see the hole spill over in time to move the item to better ice.

This is always fun to reread every year.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11