MNScuba.com

Full Version: Good book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just finished "Shipwrecks Along Lake Superiors North Shore" by Stephen B. Daniel. Cant wait for ice out so I can explore some of those places. He gives great descriptions, GPS numbers, and maps, what more could you want.

mermaid

The front and back covers of the book on amazon contain underwater photos of wrecks.  Along with the written descriptions of the wrecks, are there underwater photos of the wrecks throughout the book? 
That is one of the things I want to do once I get comfortable in my new drysuit Smile  Hit some wrecks!
Yes the pics in the book are great.

mermaid

Great!  IMO, that makes the book all the more interesting.

Good book yes, but some of the coordinates put you about a mile inland from shore. These coords may or may not be too accurate on purpose.
The only coordinates that I am aware of that are off is the Charley Anchor.
That was a missprint.
The number is 2 or 2 1/2 miles inland.
The others are good.
The deep wreck numbers were left off on purpose.
When you get good enough to dive them you will know who to ask.
Bob
Mr. Daniels had nothing to gain from bad numbers. Nothing in the book is a secret worth keeping. Most likely it was old numbers from a different grid systems compounding simple errors. The Coles guide suffers the same way so I find it likely they both had the same problems.

After simple typographical transposition the best explanation is old Lat/log grids or interpolaters from the Lorance system used incorrectly. NAD27 and NAD83 are off my "many tens of meters" so that alone may not account. Throw in selective availability (10 to 100 meters) pre-Clinton, and you may be able to account for most of the errata.

Update: CCR Diver and I posted at the same time.

I must be cursed! I went to grab my GPS and check some coords in the book and I see that my daughters pup had been chewing on my Lowrance H2Oc. It is in pretty rough shape but it still works. now Im too pissed to look at coords.

mermaid

Gotta love those hi-tech choo toys   :-\
Pages: 1 2 3