MNScuba.com

Full Version: Underwater Metal Detectors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone able to provide some guidance on getting started with underwater metal detection.  What would be a good system to get started using and determine if I would want to get into this area of scuba diversification?

I have a lop-sided opinion as I have only used the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2. I own two of them and they seem to work well for me. I think you can get them new for around $630 each anywhere but I got mine through thefirestore for $560. Here is a link to their site:
I met Detector guy at Square Lake.  Saw his detector and bought the same thing brand new off of Ebay.  Great
I have a Garrett also, it works great.  It doesn't have a good discriminator so I tend to dig up lots of bottle caps and beer cans Smile
I have a JW Fishers pulse 6x, its a great piece of equipment, although a little pricey.  the best part is that it has an available wet connect for different coils.  theres even a 8"x48" coil for towing behind your boat. 
I would rather have a pile of junk rather than missing a ring!
Make sure you enjoy it before you commit. I thought I wanted one so I tried PRM's for an hour or so and it was
BOOOoooooRING! I found some small stuff and that can hold your attentions so location is everything but for my money; It convinced me that I'd rather scooter.