MNScuba.com

Full Version: White Bear Lake Dive on March 6, 2010
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It was a beautiful day for an ice dive. I was joined by fellow divers Terry, Joe, Matt and Tullibee. Temps were in the upper 30's, a slight breeze from the west, and the skiers were clear. What more could a guy ask for.

Unfortunately Matt was my dive buddy, so I didn't get any pics of him, other than tending the line. The other two clowns, well, it is what it is.

Divers typically find anchors and other misc. "stuff", but I think I found the grand prize when I found this Zercom fish locator. Looks like it had been under water for awhile. The battery was still strapped to the bottom side of the locator.

Happy Bubbles.

Dave Torry

mermaid

Nice pics Dave.

Matt looks studious tending the line

and Terry is definitely holding a BIG STICK, geez that thing looks .  YIKES!
It looks like it could do some real damage!

Joe looks a bit bored.

and Dave, what is that you're holding? 
Saw softly and carry a big stick?

A little TLC and $700 and that Zercom would be as good as new.  Big Grin

mermaid

How can you "saw softly" with a big stick like that??

Yes, yesterday was a good time, REAL nice day, decent vis 20-30', decent bottom, decent group, I dont understand Daves line though, (the other two clowns, it is what it is) Joe do you know WTF Dave is talking about? Dave wanted me to try his big saw, I think he felt it didn't cut as well as mine, (and like a lot of people he knew I was good at handling large tools) but it does, what I learned is that the further the distance from the handles of a chain saw your using, to what is actually being cut, the more you have to lean into the cut, typical leverage deal. I'm running a 28" bar Daves running a 36" bar. Once the bar and chain hit the water, and seemingly the further the bar and chain penetrate the water the more water you bring up. I like cutting a couple inches short of the water, yesterday approx. 22-23" and you stay dry, AND so does your saw, then while I take a break Joe and others auger the 3 corner holes, then we either finish with a regular hand ice saw or we use a chainsaw (and bring up the water) :-\                   TRINITY

mermaid

If that's Dave's saw, and it's 36" long, it IS big. 

If someone would please answer this next question, I'd appreciate it.  Terry said he likes to stop a few inches short of the water so everything (saw and person running saw) stays dry.  How do you know how close to the water you are getting so you know when to stop cutting into the ice?

EXPERIENCE!!
Looks like another fun day on the ice.  Will have to try this next year!

mermaid

EXPERIENCE!!
[/quote]

Thank you Robert.  I suppose with Terry's 30 years of experience, this is something I should have known/assumed.  (along with other things I should have known NOT to assume.  :-\ )
We'll just say....Terry knows how deep to go!!!  Wink >Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3