MNScuba.com

Full Version: I have a good question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mermaid

I was browsing the wiscuba site today and noticed that the State of Wisconsin has an organized scuba diving club in Milwaukee.  Wisconsin has A LOT fewer lakes than Minnesota does. 

Can someone, anyone, please explain to me why, Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, doesn't have an organized scuba diving club???
I ask about a scuba club here last fall and people though it was funny. clubs sponsor dinners and training. they can set up trips and such. they as a group can get purchase discounts so that their dollar will go farer. (spelling not great) Some dive shops sponsor clubs no one wants some thing for free but with the way the business world is every little bit helps.
Happie
It depends on how you define lakes and how you massage the statistics.  Some statistics would show that Wisconsin actually has more lakes. Smile Basically both states have a lot of lakes.  Minnesota just likes to emphasize the number of lakes for marketing purposes.

Wisconsin benefits from bordering two of the great lakes.  If you live in Milwaukee you have access to great diving along the eastern coast. You could leave your house and be diving great wrecks in an hour.

We have had a few scuba clubs in the Twin Cities area over the years.  I can think of two active clubs -- the Vintage Divers club and the Frogmen.  I think the frogmen have been around for decades. Most clubs don't last that long.  They are usually dominated by the personalities of a few members.  Oftentimes they become sort of cliquish. Active members get bored, move, or begin to focus on new life priorities. 

The reason I like mnscuba is that it provides some of the opportunities that a club offers (meet buddies, find dive opportunities, exchange ideas) with none of the commitment.  That being said if you want to start a club go for it! 
Mermaid,
That's kind of what I'm doing with Trident, but a looser scale at the moment.
Always looking to advance the idea further.
Ever heard of the Owatonna Dive Club ? Been around since 1963 and going strong. Is the question by the OP about dive clubs in the Twin cities area ?