MNScuba.com

Full Version: backup computer or analog gauges
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know I'm new around here but I thought I would ask some of the experts around here their opinion. I finally sold off my old Suunto EON dive computer that I used for the last 16 or so years and figured it's time to upgrade.

I did end up purchasing a Suunto D4 as I like the smaller form factor. I decided against the wireless air integration at this time however I may end up going that way if someone I know really stands behind the reliability especially during advanced dives such as deep, wreck or cave.

Should I just purchase a Suunto analog gauge cluster (depth, pressure and compass) or buy a newer air integrated dive computer such as the Cobra or....?

I'm stuck and would like to hear your thoughts. Maybe I need to sell the D4 and purchase something else altogether.

Thanks!
I dive a wireless system Uwatec for more than 10years
Never had a failure during a dive. The connection might drop out when you stretch too long  however nothing to worry about. The air integrated systems will show beside remaining bottom time the air time left at current consumption calculated for an end pressure of 500psi
A very handy tool for a concerned diver. They are well worth the expense....

Andreas
I absolutely love my wrist mounted air integrated computer.  I've been thinking about adding a backup console with a depth and pressure gauge but I haven't done it yet.  So far it has never lost comms with the transmitter.  It tests the battery at every power on, and I keep spares in the dive kit just in case.

I can't see how deep or cave would make any difference in functionality at all.  I have not had mine on a wreck yet (hopefully will soon), so I can't say if the metal will mess up the comms or not.

Are they necessary - of course not, but it is really nice just to take a look at your wrist and see your depth, pressure, temp, air time, and ndl time.
Any wireless air integrated computer recommendations?

I've looked at the UWATEC Luna/Sol computers and the Suunto Vyper Air, Vytec and D9.

You mention deep and cave, so you may be in a category of computers I don't play in.

I use the Oceanic VT3 and like it.  You could add that to your list to look at.
It's been a little while since I shopped but getting just a bottom timer was almost the same as a simple computer so I got two computers. I got two the same so the stops match. Two different: One may give a faster to the surface but risk locking out the other computer.

If you going to need pressure on deco tanks add up the cost of all the extra pressure senders as the cost. Everyone I've dove with only had the one sender. I use all kinds of 'extra' tanks and "air integrate in my head". For me I'd need 4 more senders to cover my single reg, 2 O2 regs and my twin regs.

I don't know many "advanced" divers who are using the full gauge consoles.  I would stick with a bottom timer or I guess another backup computer if you have a bunch of money.  I don't know of any wireless computers that are Trimix compatible, so for OC it is tables and a bottom timer, or in my case a TEC 2G in gauge mode with a bottom timer as a backup.  On CCR I use a Shearwater Pursuit monitoring 3 cells.  I really like the simplicity of the Pursuit and would likely use it on OC dives as well, again with tables and another depth/timing device as a backup.  I use analog pressure gauges and a wrist mounted compass when I need one.  If you are going the Tec diving route, at the very least buy something with a good gauge mode so it isn't a paper weight when you are doing a bigger dive.

Just my .02.

Chris
Does anyone have any comments on the Suunto HelO2 or the UWATEC SOL?

i have a sol... i might have reviewed i somewhere on this site, if i havent i could answer specific questions you have easier than rambling on about it
... the screen can hold a lot of data or just gauge mode... i keep all on, but generally just look at gauge info
it has a good compass, but you dont have to push a button for a real one
the light is nice and bright, and you have to pay extra for the premium channels like hbo and cinnemax, but im fine with basic.
I've been using the older version of the Vyper Air, Vytec, and I love that computer.
Although, it is the only one I have used. It is hoseless air integrated. You don't have the hose attached. The Vyper you can get the transmitter later if you want, and run with a spg.
If you have a computer failure, your dive is over anyway, so a backup spg would be beneficial, or a backup computer (that's why I bought a second, both receiving off of the transmitter).
A friend of mine just got the Helio. That one is going to be more advanced than the Vyper Air (and my Vytecs) with 8 gasses incl trimix.
It kind of depends on where you want to go. Buy now, or buy twice, now and later.
Pages: 1 2