MNScuba.com

Full Version: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Its the Blue lake in Isanti County, West of Isanti. Skogman is in Isanti County also this lake is just East of Cambridge. Nate was on a roll yesterday like a bloodhound on the trail of an escapee. We were both swimming in the same general areas of both these lakes but He found all the good stuff yesterday. The coolest thing I found yesterday was another horse stop anchor. It was an absolute blast diving yesterday even though the viz was tight in both lakes. When Nate drops the coordinates on the board I'll tally up the running totals on the "scoreboard".

I should say that when I mention "scoreboard", this whole shipwreck challenge is not meant to be nearly as intense competition as that semi-popular (depending on who you talk to) first annual anchor challenge. We don't want people to think the motivation for finding these dive sites is purely for winning the challenge or winning prizes. We want more divers to find (and share) the intel on these boats and other significant dive sites. The goal of the challenge really should be to promote diving in obscure lakes and not just swimming in the 5-6 training tubs that claim to have stellar viz and things planted on the bottom for the divers to 'discover' like so many divers had already done.

Good job on the two new wrecks Nate!

+1 on the challenge.  8) this is a great way to get out and do some local diving and see some cool things underwater. there are no trophies or prizes on the table,table, no deadlines,  and no pressure (unless your secret identity likes to ride ducati motorcycles, wears black leather, thinks my dog Neo is the one, and kisses frogs hoping they turn into princes!!)  >Big Grin ;D
Here are the confirmed running totals as of today:
Detectorguy (John)--------------------3 boats, 1 fish house, 1951 Oldsmobile, & 1967 Camaro
Shooter (Nate)-------------------------3 boats
lahrcm (Curtis)-------------------------1 boat and 1 dump truck
doug67 (Doug)-------------------------1 boat and 1 slightly used van (Van was removed but debris field remains)
AandA (Art)-----------------------------1 boat
Max (Nates son)------------------------1 pontoon boat
Hydro (Joe)-----------------------------1 boat
Popolarbear (Stephan)-----------------1 boat
Trinity (Terry)--------------------------1 boat
Wink Wink Wink on an intesting side note, I found this the same day. I had to dig some post holes in the backyard for the dog run, Wink Wink Wink and this was down about 2'! Turns out its an ink bottle from 1870....
nice find and you did not even  get wet.
Hey team honey Badger there's a paddle wheel from an old paddle boat in Blue. You didn't happen to find that did you? I think its on the east side. I found some background on it on the Internet but it didn't have a solid leed on where it was. I was gonna go look for it but its low on my to do list.
We didn't find a paddle wheel, but We were 1/2 hour too late getting to the landing to recover a Chevy Suburban. The guy forgot to put it in park, and it ended up in the lake . It was on the tow truck heading toward town as we were turning into the landing. We looked a little bit on the East side and that is where Nate found the boat by the landing. I found an old horse stop anchor on the West side straight across from the landing on a submerged peninsula. Here are a couple photos of the horse stop anchor.

We will keep an eye out for it. We were searching for an electric boat lift.  We have 2 different stories with 2 different possible search areas  :Smile. It does make it more of a challenge! Finding the old canoe was a nice bonus. Lake gets really busy on weekends in the summer, we might have to give it another go soon.
Location, location, location! Ya had to want it out there today! We had the lake to ourselves with the rain and lightning. Honey badger dive team dont care ;D With the exception of the fishing boat "reefer madness" Wink. I'm glad we were in a rubber boat :o. I told John that if we were hit by lightning and I didn't make it, he needed to post 1 last Shock & Awe for team g from me  >Big Grin

Found the paddle wheel!  were looking too deep.
The theme of the day today WAS "Shock and Awe"! Lightning for the shock and two more boats found today for awe!
Today my dive buddy Nate and I went back to Blue Lake to look for that boatlift again. The day started out nice, and then about 9:00 the weather turned to crap quickly. Heavy rains and lots of lightning raised our eyebrows more than once. Nate told me that if he gets hit by lightning... Make sure to let the folks at MNSCUBA know that he was "Shock and Awe" right up to the end. We joked about being in a rubber boat anyway, and with the Karma running so strong with Team Honey Badger, we could probably handle a couple of strikes from lightning. The viz was worse than last weekend  at only about 3'. We didn't find the boatlift but I found 2 more boats. One was really old and not much left and the other was really, really old and was in worse shape than the first. We figured that both of these boats are over 100 years old. The first boat was about 100' towards the boat landing from one of the 2 boats Nate found last weekend. It had a complete bottom but the sides of the hull only had about 6" high sides. This boat is really fragile and sitting in about 20' deep water. The bottom here is about 2' deep fluffy silt. Here are the coords to the first boat I found today:
N45 28.254' W93 29.923'

Here is a link to the video if this little boat:

The second boat I found today was North of the landing and just off Lundeen's Point. It was sitting in 12' of water and it's really a wreck (see how I did that?...) The whole floor of the boat is there and the whole transom but only one 3" high board on the port side. There was one hefty ring mounted in the center of the transom. This area is a hard bottom and there are a few logs near by. The coords to this wrecked wreck are:
N45 28.559' W93 30.052'

Here is a link to the video of this boat:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31