MNScuba.com

Full Version: regulator question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My backup regs are the Dacor Extreme Plus. They are still in good shape and mechanically sound. I'm told by the dive shop they can't get certain parts for them anymore and not to waste money getting them serviced but they do work great and have so for the last 16 years.

Should I go ahead and get them serviced or get different set (maybe something a few years old such as the Mares Abyss)?

Thx

I believe that I read that you are considering a Trimix class. If that is the case, you may want to consider getting a different set and consider DIN first stages. You will need doubles for the trimix class, so you might as well plan ahead.
You are correct. Any recommendations? I'm diving an Apeks XTX50 today.

You would need to ask around for other options. I am not an expert, but I think the XTX50 is a reliable, quality regulator. My understanding is that it is good in cold water and is overbalanced making it a good choice for deeper diving.

Everyone will give an opinion for one brand or another. Make sure it is one that you can have serviced locally and your favorite LDS is knowledgable about. Environmentally sealed would be a big consideration

mermaid

Guppy questions:

'99, what is "overbalanced"?

'Pitbull, what is "environmentally sealed"?

Mermaid,

Here is an explanation from the web about unbalanced, balanced and overbalanced first stage regulators.

Simply put, a balanced regulator is always a preferable option. Most entry level regulators are unbalanced whereas the next model up is generally balanced. A balanced first stage regulator offers consistent air flow regardless of depth and tank pressure. An unbalanced regulator will become harder to breathe from as depth increases and or tank pressure decreases.

That said, modern unbalanced regulators perform very well and the advantage of an unbalanced regulator is that annual service costs are lower as they tend have few moving parts. This does in turn make them exceptionally reliable as are all modern regulators, regardless of type.

However, balanced regulators offer consistent high air flow to the second stages making breathing resistance less and therefore breathing easier.Overbalanced regulators achieves unprecedented performance by increasing your air supply the deeper you go providing the best breathe for deep divers.

Everyone will give an opinion for one brand or another. Make sure it is one that you can have serviced locally and your favorite LDS is knowledgable about. Environmentally sealed would be a big consideration
[/quote]

I would second the recommedation about being able to have the regulator serviced locally. Also enviromentally sealed is a big plus.

mermaid

Thanks '99.  Considering how vital it is for every diver to be able to breath effortlessly, it seems rather odd to me that reg. manufacturers wouldn't strive to make EVERY reg. AT LEAST balanced.
You could consider HOG as well.  They are starting to get a following on scubaboard and they'll teach you how to service it and then sell you the parts.
Pages: 1 2