MNScuba.com

Full Version: Calhoun conditions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Matt and I dove Calhoun after work yesterday. I thought the vis below 20 was great. We spent most of the time at 30 looking at moonscape and this odd dark brown 'skin' on the bottom. Anyway, best vis I've had in that lake that deep. I was a little dark but clarity was very good.

Weeds are thick and prevent diving in the near shore to 15 feet of water.

I don't have a temp but it's cold at 30, maybe mid 40's
Lake Harriet
North beach below 20 feet the vis is really good. Last night I spent an hour at 30 feet and the vis was just over 20. We found 3 types of silt  Wink, some more brown  'mold' like Calhoun. Lots of fish in 7-12 and the largest carp I've ever seen.

Vis get poor towards the west and the bottom changes from a living brown mold like carpet to all gray and dead. It may be the depth more then location but someplace between 32 and 36 it died and the visibility changed. At the time I accredited it to a change in water more then depth but I don't know for sure.
were did you say you saw that carp? what side of lake /depth?

i thought i was crazy, cedar(next lake over)I had a reading of around 46 deg which I thought i missread my gauge, but maybee not. it was cold in a 3mil.
Right off the southeast corner of the beach in the weeds about 7 feet. He was hanging around with some small crappies down in the weed. I was low and slow coming in on the school when he wiggled and moved around to my right and out of sight. I was about 2 feet from him when he moved and I saw him. Probably 24-26 inches long and lean, large brown scales.

I didn't look at temp but it's cold at the bottom, high 40's sounds about right.