MNScuba.com

Full Version: The warmest lakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 7mm wet suit  what are the warmer lakes. We are new to  MN lakes and live in St Paul. thanks
Hi Jackie, welcome to mnscuba.
I don't think there will be much noticeable difference between the lakes, but between the old mine pits and lakes there can be some difference  The cold water will be below the thermocline ~17-23' or so and the deeper you go the more compressed the wetsuit gets so the less insulation.  For the most part if you're looking to see the fish, you don't have to spend too much time below the thermocline if at all so that's good for avoiding the cold.  You might find that dipping down below the thermocline for a cool off will be in order.
Lake Superior will pretty much be downright freezing most all the time, at about 38deg. or so.

Any of the smaller, shallower lakes that aren't spring fed with too much cold water will be the warmer ones, but someone else will have to give you that list.
Fred
We also dive with 7mm wetsuits.  In the Crosby mines we very rarely venture past the 40-45 foot mark just to damn cold.  I think my deepest point at the mines is around 50' for just a few seconds.

Square Lake on the WI/MN border may be the clearest warm water lake around, but it does get crowded with all the instructors and students.
I like tonka(minnetonka). lake is more like 30 smaller lakes each bay with its own conditions that change daily, and hourly. some of the shallower side bays can get clear even during summer. late fall some of the side bays clarity will exceed other metro lakes. 20ft vis.
little long lake(mound) has free parking, shore access, and with an inflatable raft you can drag your gear out past the shallows. Dnr rates this lake as the clearest metro lake, and it is clear, but i think tonka will match its clarity, at least in the late fall.
Sylvia is also good

problem with clarity, you need a lack of suspended particles, and no free floating planktonic algae. some metro lakes might be low on algae but with any wind or early season(before algae) you have too much free floating particles.
once the weeds grow up, they trap free floating particles. and with enough weeds, free floating algae will also have problems. in some thick weedy areas with open holes, you get clear spots!
I suspect there may be some unlisted,difficult to reach, private man made lakes that might be realy good(extended metro). ive got my eye on one that looks clear, i just have to figure out how to get in.(its not on any DNR offical lake list)
with the difficulty, i think its a sleeper for big fish!