MNScuba.com

Full Version: Accident at Wazee
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Our prayers are for all the families and people involved with this incident. I myself have been trying to get more information about this incident. I know for a fact that one of the people who responded to the divers medical needs was a parent of one of our students doing training at Wazee.

I came on this board this morning to try to find out more information. I realize that the information has to be evaluated and reconfirmed. As I have seen I am not the only one who is at a loss on where to check. Even the people at the lake did not know about it till they got home.

I do not agree or disagree with people's opinions on how the information should be posted. I tried PM'ing somebody on this forum I have not gotten a response. I belong to many forums and there is a major discussion about an incident in Peacock Springs in Florida that people are discussing on the Cave diving forum. If the information is deemed inappropriate then the moderator should step in.

I for one would have appreciated more information from people in the know. DAN is not the greatest source of first hand information. Who do you think they get their information from? They don't have investigators that go and check every incident out, They wait for the information to be accumulated over a time. Period. I needed to know TODAY.

Jim Campos
After reading this thread, and considering the viewpoints and thoughts on this tragedy, I do agree that DAN would be a good option for the "learning" aspect of diving accidents.  But that's rather generic.  Although the DAN site has "real" incidents of diving accidents, this one really hits home, it's where we dive, it's who we dive with. Hence the intense interest we, as divers, have in this accident at Wazee.  Before I left for Ore Be Gone today, I read about what happened, and once again it really hit home.  I have SO many times been complacent in my diving attitude, if only for a few minutes at a time. All I can say is that we all love being under water, doing what very few people have the opportunity to do.  My heartfelt condolences to the families and friends involved.   
I haven't networked with a lot of divers in the area like some of you have. It would help us to know if these people were friends of ours, but when the families are notified, the names will be released along with the official report of what happened. Even though I don't yet know who these divers are, I have been thinking about the friends and families of these divers all day. They are undoubtedly having a tough time, and they will need some hugs and help in the near future. If we waited a day or so to find out what happened, we could start learning how to prevent this from happening again then.
A little more detail with the Star Tribune

Why do you belong to and post on rumor mills?
A lot of forums have a subject line that "Diving Accidents and Incidents" and they also have " In Memoriam". this allows people to express their condolences and also be able to ask questions and post their opinions. There is a fine line between "wanting to know" what happened or who it is and  just being curious. Having experienced first hand tragic diving accidents, many families have been heartbroken by information they have read on the on line forums that was incorrect and misleading.

I know that it would be more work for the moderators to overlook what is posted, and I would not want that job. I would assume that this forum is here so that incidents like this could be read about, evaluated, and also allow us to share our condolences and prayers with the families that are involved. Most of the stories I have read and will read on this subject were of people that were doing something that we all enjoy, Diving.

So hold back your emotions for a second and sit back and let things cool down. Respect what needs respect and we will all find out sooner or later get more information. Remember to put your self in the place of the people involved. It is not a pleasant experience. Been there, done that.  time to hold back and quit fingerpointing about who should post what on this forum.

Just my 2 cents,

Jim Campos
First off - my thoughts and prayers go out to the family's, loved ones and friends of those who died. Secondly, I believe it is human nature to be inquisitive about these types of things and for most of us, not in a sick way.

It is a risky sport - I acknowledge this every time I dive but at the same time I do not let this thought overwhelm me - which in it's self can be as dangerous as not acknowledging it at all. I simply chose to dive within my physical, mental and experience level - and have fun.

Again my condolences to all!

Dive safe... Pat

I looked through the MN scuba calander to see how many members (that have posted thier birthdates) might fit the other two divers, and saw that there are six members that are 53 years old right now and male. There are three members that are 57 years old right now and male. There may be more that did not disclose their birthday. I did not look one year eitherway from those ages incase the originally reported ages were off by a year.
news link.... 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5