MNScuba.com

Full Version: first mn dives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
...jumping over from wiscuba...my stepdaughter is newly certified and schools at U of Minn...what would the consensus be for making a first Minnesota dive ~ the twin cities...?...thanks much....
If you want to stay in the cities, then there are some choices.  Her very first dive our of class?  Well the training lake in town in Square Lake- the access from Golden Acres is a little nicer than from the park side. There are training platforms which are well marked and lined. There is a sign posted on a tree with the map. If you follow the thick white line you'll head to the park side which is a swim but also has more platforms.

There's Little Long Lake on the west end of town- not sure on the vis right now, but it is a calm lake with trolling motor limits. There's one platform there and easy access from the parking lot. It's never usually crowded and you can find treasure once in a while.

If you pop over the border from Stillwater there's Perch Lake, which has a sloping bottom and platforms and sunken boats- I actually like this lake over Square- quiet, vis is usually good and you can dive deeper if you want to.

If you want to drive north to Brained, you can check out the mine pits- which have better visibility. You'll want to ask about what areas are not as deep for your new diver- some areas are deeper than others. And you'll want a map if you haven't been there before.  I should also add there's red clay everywhere- and it's almost impossible to get out of clothes, your truck, etc. But well worth the trip if you have time.
Get her a good buddy and Calhoun and Harriet are not awful but it's August so this is the low vis, high temp window of diving.
Coordinate with someone with a boat to get past the milfoil and check out Christmas Lake! 

Lac Lavon in Apple Valley is nice and small (caution very fast drop off!)  Enter from the Apple Valley Park off Garden View Drive.
Lac Levon is a nice lake. It has a platform just off your 1 O'clock as you stand to enter the lake. My daughter is doing her lake qual dives there next Wed. I have helped out with a class as well. VERY warm, I have it on good account that it was dove in a 3mm the other day by a 13 yr old boy...dive shop's owners kid. If you can get to the platform, there is about a 1lb sunny under there....he's a big boy.
There's a group from Northland Divers heading to Square Lake tomorrow evening. We should be there by 6pm.
We'd be glad have you/your daughter there.
If she took class from the U of M Twin Cities, she was probably with one of our instructors.
Joe
...thanks all for the information.....it will be planned trip as I'm in south central Wisconsin....when the time gets close...I'll probably PM a few of you as well....thanks again........
If you are making it a trip, go right past the Twin Cities and straight to Crosby.
I would have to agree with Matt on that.  The mines have so much more to offer.  Besides, there are a couple more "wrecks" to dive for now.

recreational depts....newly certified diver....... ;D
Pages: 1 2