MNScuba.com

Full Version: Zebra mussel's found in Minnetonka
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sure the LMA is a little sad by the news, especially since they have been in the lake for a year.  It was inevitable that they would come, just when was the question.
As sad as invasives are how long before the visibility starts improving?

Besides clogging pipes and mechanical, what else do they do?

do they lower property value?
That local resident was me and my Boys!

sent the DNR an email picture.got a call back that i needed to send the sample to the state. and that i needed to fix it in rubbing alcohol. couldn't find that, so put it in vodka instead. wrapped it in a paper napkin, and put in envelope. at the post office , they mentioned that it was too thick for standard post, and what is inside.
me..."its a zebra mussel"
post.."you want to send a zebra mussel with the postal system"
me..."I was instructed by the state to send it in"..."OH and its fixed and frozen anyways"
post.."OK"
me.."look I'm not happy that i got to pay for this, so give me the cheepest slowest possible."
after some change it went in on Monday. i think it arrived Tuesday. and wed they called back and asked if they could use my name in a press release.

at which point i was surprised and said sure.
what i found was a large 3/4inch specimen. they found microscopic young of the year.(also found a school of a dozen walleye but that is another topic)

Lower property value... you must be dreaming there are too many city retiree's looking for their pensions and benefits for life.....
I am kind of waiting for the day when we get into the same financial mess as the Greeks are into. We are certainly not far away with the same symptoms.....

For restrictions regarding invasive species it is too late ....

When can we write-off the next lake ?  Prior lake , Minnetonka .. what is next.....Suggestions ?

Andreas

White Bear, Elmo, Waconia, Whale Tail, eventually all of them.
The Minneapolis lakes got milfoil years ago and they have a gas motor restriction.  Usually, you only see one boat at a time on those lakes and you can almost walk across the weeds in spots.  Stuff will always find a way in.  About 10 years ago, a 100 pound sturgeon even washed up on Harriet's shoreline.

Whoot!!!  Congrats on the find, such a historic event.