MNScuba.com

Full Version: Whats the ladder from?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some friends and I dove at Gooseberry yesterday and we where looking for the rudder from the Belle P. Cross and we came across what looks like an old iron ladder off a ship. Anybody know any thing about this? Where it came from? I cant remember what depth it was in but it was in the boulders. Any info would be cool.
I'm not sure Doug.  Your best bet to find out about the ladder is Steve Daniel.  He wrote a book about different dive sites along the North Shore of Lake Superior.  He may have something written in his book about it.  I will check  when I find my book again.  I will most likely need to purchase another book if I can't find it.

Thanks for the question about the ladder.  One of us will most likely getting back to you on it soon.  Keep the questions coming. 

I have read Steves book a couple times and I didn't see anything there about the ladder. Just going off memory about the book it said the rudder for the Belle P.Cross is about 70' from shore in 70' of water and that the rudder is the only item from the Belle P. cross that was discovered. Steve mentions several other items located near the mouth of the Gooseberry river but I don't remember anything about a ladder though.

Doug, if the ladder was attached to a boat... just read the name on the bow and... Just kidding ;D
I checked the book before I posted and I saw nothing so I was hopeing you could help Wink
No boat attached John but there was an anchor...........jackpot! ;D
Hi Doug,

I guess you made a new discovery!  I will be talking to Steve Daniel tonight or tomorrow on another GLSPS PIB Program topic.  I will ask him and get back to you.  Hopefully he has some more details on the ladder.
Cool!
Where in Gooseberry were you diving. The bay area was a soucre of gravel that was used for the highway. They ran small railcar system from there to the highway. In the late 70's we dove the bay area a lot. We found a lot of tools (Spades, Wheelbarrow, bent and straight railroad tracks, etc). We used the bay area as an intro to Lake Superior when we did our "summer long" AOW classes.

JIm
We were south of the bay/picnic area looking for the Belle P Cross rudder.  The ladder was fairly close to shore in 30 feet of water or so.  If my camera wasn't all foggy we would have a picture to share.

You didn't see Trinity by the bottom of the ladder, did you?.. Those electricians are always falling off ladders.  ;D Just kidding Terry

John (the carpenter)

Does Doug count?  Wink
Pages: 1 2