MNScuba.com

Full Version: Gooseberry Dive Site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After doing 2 dives on the Hesper Monday, 3 dives on the madeira today, my son and I have air for two dives on Wed.  Any guidance?  We have never dove Gooseberry.  Any proposed dive plans there?  Would there be 1 or 2 dives there?  If only one, I was thinking about doing the outer break wall in two harbors.  Thanks
I have not yet dove the break wall, but Gooseberry is worth diving.  You can just jump off of the lava flow into 15-20 feet of water.  It is a fun dive with huge boulders and vertical walls along the shore.  To the left of the lava flow there is all kinds of wreckage scattered.

Have fun, and see you back down here for some good old Minnesota muck diving. lol  ;D
Two Harbors break wall is fair. We stepped off just out from shore where is looked safe to do so, your results may very. We had large rollers that day, exit was ok for me but others had trouble. It's not very interesting.

The little beach to the left of the wall goes out to sand and a semi truck tire. It's a lot of work to find 50 feet. It's not worth the work.

If you're in agate bay, swim the inside of the bay from just right of the ramp out to the old pier. The pier has an old loading trolley and other stuff. Along the shore between the launch and the pier are some large wood objects. They may be the remains of the 3 tug boats. Everything is shallow, I don't think I passes 35 feet. Much is snorkel to 20 feet. Well worth the work if your in the area, not a destination unless you dive the Ely first. Then its a fine 3rd dive as the Ely is 2 or more if you include the big wood box thing.

I 2nd..
Thanks for the input. 

We "stepped" off the gooseberry picnic area lava flow at the point between the gradual slope into the water and the steep part.  Nice and easy to enter there.  We headed for Duluth until 2000PSI (80cuft) then turned around and exited on the beach near the river mouth.    Very nice dive.

Our second dive we hauled our gear to the bend in the Two Harbors break wall and jumped in.    I was too lazy to carry our gear any further.  We headed toward the end until 2000PSI (80cuft) then turned around and headed for shore.  It was interesting to see the big blocks they used to build the break wall base in 60' of water for the poured cement top.
I'm from Duluth, and a few times a year we'll head to the breakwall to do a dive...usually we'll suit up in the parking lot and walk out...I've walked all the way to the end...it's not fun.  You start cooling off soon after hitting the water.  The tourists get a honk out of it, though.  Yeah, it's pretty neat seeing the size of those boulders they use to hold the wall there...big as a VW Bug!