MNScuba.com

Full Version: Madeira/Hesper intel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone dived the Madeira and/or Hesper lately? A friend is coming into town and we're going to go up the North Shore for a couple of shore dives next weekend. I'm curious about water temps, viz, entry variables, etc. since I haven't been up there in a couple of years. Do you still have to go to the State Park for the gate code?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't been there lately but the "gales of November" are near, and I imagine the waves are getting big soon. The exit on both sites will be getting worse soon because of the waves.
You do have to go to the park to get the code. The diving should be great, I dove it twice in Nov. last year and it was really good. Don't forget your c-cards.
What is the shape of the Madeira now? I was diving this weekend with a diver who seemed to "know" everything.... :Smile

I was told that there is nothing left of the Madeira. I have seen pics of the bow standing straight up and the stern.....is he right....or is it still there to dive on.

I want to dive it as the history is fasinating to me. Would be a shame to find it has been wrecked.
Big C
I don't know what he is smoking but it must be some good sh*t
The Madiera is still the most popular wreck on the North Shore.
The Madiera has taken some punishment in it's 105 years underwater,
but it is still a fantastic dive opportunity.
Bob

"Some" of the steel was salvaged during WW I and WW II for use in the manufacturing of Jeeps and Tanks and other weapons.
During the 1970s a gentleman named Dr. Lee Opine purchased the salvage rights to the Madiera.
That means he owns the ship.
He did a limited amount of salvage on the ship before abandoning the project.
He held the salvage rights until his death. At that point his business partner inherited the rights.
The partner approached the state of Minnesota, trying to sell the rights to the state.
The Historical Society told him that they had no money for that kind of thing.
BUT there is this Non Profit Organisation that the state works with, and they could give him a tax deductable receipt for the rights.
And that is how the GLSPS came to own the Madiera.
So if you are a member of the GLSPS you are part owner of a shipwreck.
And I guarantee you that there will never be any more salvage or any limits on diving it.
Bob
I'm still learning the camera thing, but this was in late August.
We thought the viz was good to real good. Temps then were 39-42 degrees.
Bob, who burn their initials in the bow of the ship?
"VSD" -- Vet's Salvage Diving.

This has been there since the 70's == not sure if Jerry did it or if it was one of his guys with the torch.
Pages: 1 2