MNScuba.com

Full Version: Lake Minnetonka Interesting Dive spots GPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone have a list of interesting Dive spots by GPS Coordinates they can share?
I think the wreck numbers are in here someplace. I don't have anything but basic numbers for ice dives in my car satnav.
The MN manatees used to have great gps locations on their site.  Their site has been under construction for quite some time.  It seems like they still take emails, shoot them an email and see what you get.

sent a request. they sent me back a Jpg image which did not open. emailing went back and forth several times and basically they were not able to send me the info. anyone else have any interesting GPs, or just general spots that are intersting.

apparently there are several boats sunk just off big island. also supposed to be 3 boats in wayzatta bay. as wells as some older cars and model T.

Hey Popo!
                            This is what I know of,,,, 5 wrecks north of Big Island, (the Hopkins, the White Bear, the Como, the Hercules, and the stern paddlewheeler, surely its the Excelsior) two in Wayzata Bay, (the barge and cabin cruiser) one, still in Excelsior Bay (the sidewheeler) the Minnehaha was raised by the late Jerry Provost from there and now cruises the lake. I've dove all of these, dont know of any cars, I like the wrecks better anyway, lately I've found most cars greasier then the engine room on the America. There are some real nice pics of these wrecks (while still on the surface) in the McDonalds in downtown Excelsior. Shoot me a pm if your looking for more info.          TRINITY
Hi Trinity, I would be interested in more info about the Minnetonka wrecks and if you don't mind sharing info in a PM, I would like to hit them someday. About the greasy cars... I hope you didn't get any on your new Viking. That suit is made for that kind of thing, but who wants the mess!

John
Since THEY mentioned a car.....I will give up a little more intel.  There is an upright 1950's Mercury in Wayzata Bay.  Apparently Sunset's Bar used to have a contest to guess when a car would go through the ice.  I have dove it from shore.  If you hit 20' you are too deep.  That will get you started.  There is a toilet bowl on the way to it.
I don't want to speak of the horror of the last dive but Excelsior Bay (the sidewheeler) is black at 68 feet with maybe 3 feet of vis with a powerful light dropping to < 1foot if you touch anything. It's easy to swim into/under parts without knowing and get trapped or snagged (nails and bolts abound). Terry and I know this for a fact and my cave reel got us out in quick time. The rest of the story is not for public consumption only that we didn't get hurt and I consider that an extreme stroke of good fortune.

That wreck has more hazards then anything i've seen. If the vis isn't better then 15 feet, go dive something else.
thanks all for info.

there is supposed to be remnants of a larger old wooden sail boat laying on its side in wayzata. mostly gone. out a ways from the city side of the bay. I haven't seen it but i know its there as when i was a kid there was a shore diver i knew that would swim out to see it. I remember him saying it was out far.
There was a book published a while back (1996) by Jerry Provost about raising the Minnehaha called "Salvaged Memories."
The book had desciptions and coords for most of the wrecks out there. We got skunked about half the time trying to use
these coords and finally went out there ourselves with a gps/sounder unit to find them with more accuracy. We don't have
coords for some of the harder to find wrecks (buried in mud and don't show up on a sounder) but have them for most wrecks
out there. Let me know what you need.
T
Pages: 1 2