MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a little bummed I probably won't get to ice dive this year.  Although, it was nice to be out in a t shirt today.  Someone have an extra cold one for me and I'll get over it.
Terry and I surveyed two more lakes on Sunday. One has a good chance of producing more American iron then Detroit. Good vis, Hard bottom, Huge sand bar. The only limit was our shore swim. We had to go about a mile out but we are in good shape so it didn't hurt too much. We figure if you want to win, you got to swim.

We only pulled 3 anchors for 'testing'. So if you didn't get out AGAIN this weekend your 4 'holes' behind.
What just a min...  Is there even ice out? ???  You can't make up theoretical "holes" just to get an early start to collecting.

If you have only 4 holes in mind... you might be playing catchup all winter. That 42 page magic dive plan I mentioned earlier has 40 separate proposed ice holes that should be in prime realestate for producing anchors. That plan of ours is now 51 pages but I don't see it getting any bigger. I realize that 20 ice holes in one season is a lofty goal, but to have a plan with 40 potentials... I'm not worried. The only thing that scares me is needing to add on to the rock garden in the spring for all the booty. With the temps staying low I am hoping to have 2" of ice by December 11 on the smaller lakes. No we will not be walking out on 2" but using an airboat as a vehicle to get to the anchors and to tend the diver from. I will get a photo of us standing on the ice (while tethered to the boat). If the anchor gods are smiling on us there will be an anchor or two in the photo as well.

Ok, it does appear there is an official judge question that needs to be addressed.
                         All rise, Goodmorning to the Honarable Kristi,
                    I'm sure that's a typo (damn those court reports, probably Christine Spangler, an ex of mine, she never could spell) but do you not mean "wait just a min,,," and "Is there even ice in???" "Ice out" typically refers to ice leaving the lake in the early spring.
                    OK onto specific business, the 3 anchors that Steve and I pulled yesterday, pulled under exceeding difficult conditions, of drizzle and freezing rain, and my own potential problems of incorrectly reading my compass during the freeze up, after having crossed state lines, with the added concern of potentially having crossed county lines with our "test anchors" while still submerged, were only pulled for "testing" purposes, to test the quality of Steve's new quick connect cabling system, and the even more staunch lift bag, so as to be able to quickly add anchors and quickly remove them on the surface, even in a blinding blizzard, that are not, nor will they be counted in the future towards our winning count of total number of anchors.
                   Obviously, Steves comment of the others being "4 holes" behind is in reference to the pre-season only, as there is not any ice on lakes of sufficient strength to support a fully suited diver, as the rules REQUIRE. That brings forward John (Detectoguys) attempt to "push the envelope" on the early season by using an airboat to transport him across a thin veil of ice to retrieve anchors. John I must remind you, that any anchors that you intend to count towards you and Nates, second place finish must have pics of you STANDING on the ice next to them, in no way supported by your airboat or any boat for that matter.
                   Matt, if you get up here this winter you are always welcome to join us, you know that, just let us know, perhaps with your wife as a judge it is best your not here though, as the obvious conflict of interest it creates, with you retrieving anchors and your wife a judge, clearly we wouldn't want to create any issues, say, in the bedroom, much rather have them hashed out in the courtroom. But rest assured, we did throw back a few cold ones for you, after the dives yesterday (in the cold) some "Isolation Ale" I believe, highly recommended ale out of Colorado. I hope that clears up any questions, we are probably only a couple weeks from the official start, as the small ponds are starting to freeze.       TRINITY

Ok, it does appear there is an official judge question that needs to be addressed.
                         All rise, Goodmorning Honarable Kristi,
                    I'm sure that's a typo (damn those court reports, probably Christine Spangler, an ex of mine) but do you not mean "wait just a min,,," and "Is there even ice in???" "Ice out" typically refers to ice leaving the lake in the early spring.
[/quote]

I meant "out" as in: I'm doubtful there is any ice "out" [there] in MN.
I wasn't starting our actual count. I was just letting everyone know that if your not in the water finding good hunting grounds your at a disadvantage [ by the count of 4]. We pull what we find, that's why I said we took 3 out. We don't need to cache them for ice in. There are 100's to be had.

I can just picture it right now how it will be for the first "legal" day of icing for the contest:  Steve and Terry pic out what's suppose to be a great spot after the "scouting report" showed to be a good one.  First hole they make scores about 20 anchors, Jackpot!  Hmmm.  ;D 

I know what you mean Robert, Steve and I are pretty much unstoppable, so I decided to help everyone out by setting sail to Ambergis Cay, in Belize the day after Christmas for a week, then back to the Florida Keys for another week of wrecking, all during prime early icing season. That should give the other guys a good running start. I just hope with all one way flights the TSA dosent get up close and personal with me :-\        T
Is there a maximum amount of members on a team, if it is a team effort, or is it per individual for the contest?

Terry,

Did you remember to get the GPS cords of the stock pile, I mean, the good dive locations to the anchors you pre-contest scouted for??  Wink  ;D