MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Joe,

You should photo shop that photo and put Terry's hat on him.  ;D ;D
Terry
I would include the sash weight in the count.
People have used them for anchors on canoes.
When you started this thread, I bet you never thought this would get 200 responces and 3200 views.
Bob

Now I know why you campaigned so hard for the "utah" anchors  ;D

Glad you guys made it out, looks like Sun. was a good day to dive. It was pretty dark with the cloud cover on Sat. The setup was a breeze compared to last weekend, got in 2 dives. next dive I lead the rotation 8)

Does the color yellow make you sad too?  >Big Grin ;D
It was pretty dark with the cloud cover on Sat.

We had decent vis on Elmo, (20-25' well, till I dropped a pair of Utahs and mucked it so bad I couldn't refind either one :-\) and it was a dandy nice day with full sun all day, but the ice was in tough shape, where the wind had blown it clear it was plenty light underneath, but then from underwater where you swim towards a drift on the surface it was real dark, like swimming close to a wreck in poor vis. Elmo had lots of ice ridges, and areas where you broke thru the upper layer of ice, just walking along, to find a couple inches of water above the more structural clear ice layer underneath. When we cut the second hole, and went to lift the block out it separated at this middle water layer and the block came out as two pieces split horizontally. Hopefully this isn't going to ride thru the winter.    T
The ice on green was about 5" to 5 1/2 of good ice with rotten grainy ice on top of that. There were several trucks out in the middle fishing. I took pictures of them on top of the ice so we can prioritize which ones to pick off the bottom first :o. There was one guy that wanted to be smart about it, and drilled a test hole first (6 feet from shore). He obviously hit the sand. We did not sit around to watch what he was going to do next. The ice is not going to be drivable for a couple weeks yet around Isanti. Even then, with this snow driving out might be a fools game. I took both my snowmobiles out of storage last night and fired them up.

??? ??? ???  :-[ :-[ :-[
Maybe you should read the original proposed "rules" about the definition of what is counted for an anchor. I find it hard to believe that the guy that came up with the contest rules would even ask the judges to weigh in on such a "sissy" find.  :-[  bad karma.  People have used concrete blocks and rocks for anchors as well.

Justice will prevail  8)

Bob says it's a count, it's a count. It don't bother me ether way but I'll take the win for now, if for nothing else to back up all the smack talking. Smile

It's still early, lots of time for things to change.

john, I got to say honestly, it was not South East. I think we jumped that once and it's very poor diving. The east side is better diving but not hunting, All the bottles, cans and sticks are sticking straight up from all the divers. You can dive the east and south but it's 'No Joy'

PS, if you find 8 paint can't in a pile, they've already been counted. Smile

The original post included a horse stop. It's a matter of mass from horse stop to sash weight and we don't judge on weight.  Tongue

The hint from Trinity saying the super secret location was 'the deepest lake in the 7 county metro area' That would be Lake Elmo at 141'. Then using the shadow location on the mid-morning photos of you pulling the sled "out" compared to the late afternoon photos of the anchors I originally concluded that you were on the SE corner of Elmo. Now that I look in more detail I see that you could have been In the NE corner as there aren't many Bays on Elmo.

"PS, if you find 8 paint can't in a pile, they've already been counted." Smile

Homeland Security seems to think those 8 may have been counted twice. Once in the recon predive, and once on the ice. I told them that I don't believe they would stoop to that level. If you see any govt ninjas on the shoreline, it may be them.  Wink

It is early and anything can happen. Note to all of us to be careful if driving on the ice this year.