MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes john, So that glass house, how are all the broken broken windows treating you? I know you're no diving saint anymore then I.  You can throw any stones you want, I don't mind them. I have at least one story about bad judgment from most of the divers I know. I don't know why more of us don't die. I can assume a combination of skill and better judgment get most of us out of trouble and prevents us from repeating it.

I understand this shouldn't have happened but it did. Most of the shacks were empty when we set up. I don't really see it being that big an issue, but we'll mind the gap better. If the threat about fishing line is so great that it must be avoided none of us should dive anyplace. See Rons post about his fishing line finds. I've cut line in Crosby, it's an easy dive skill.

Seeing the real story is they don't respect the dive flag and you guys get to put a badge on yours you may get better compliance then us chasing off territorial fishermen.  I don't think I would have put it up the hole but then I wasn't the diver. (I actually think Joe was tending and we told them we were in the area) It's always easy for people to judge, I've done it. Its real easy to be hypocrites when we've all bent or broken a dive rule. I think most of the stories I know about divers regal with bent rules. I'm not endorsing this but live with the fact that at times, we all speed or break 'laws'. Our judgment and dive protocols are all sound. They may not be fore everyone but we like then and I've got no problem calling a dive because I don't like how it's going. I bailed on an ice dive this year within a few minutes because I didn't feel right about it. Everyone respects the others right to call it off.

Lastly and maybe a bit off topic, I was disappointed with myself this summer when I had my OOA but not so proud that I couldn't share for other to learn. Maybe like your OOA john. Keeping my OOA secret would have been the real danger. It would indicated dangerous pride. It's not that we don't make mistakes, it's not that we should have known better, it's that we dealt with it. Anyone that knows me knows my story that although I like buddies I don't trust they will be there for me. My OOA, I was alone, just as I expected. I had lost terry in the bad vis. I didn't judge my air well and jumped a tank that was too low for the job but my original judgment to always have a pony to go to paid and my changeover was flawless, as I had practiced. One skill offsetting the other. We have redundant gear because it can fail. To failure is human and Terry and I have redundant skills if judgment fails on occasion. I assume all you divers have relied on back up skills because something avoidable happened.

ArcFlash,
Fair enough. And for those who know me, know that I don't even like the word "fair". Life isn't fair. I mistook your dry sense of humor as a slam of sorts, and I apologize for being judgmental. I have many flaws and have been known to make several mistakes per day. Things happen in a hurry and decisions need to be made in a hurry. All anyone can do is try to make the right ones and quickly correct the wrong ones. Hold it against me or what ever you want to do... But I am sorry for having the audacity to pass constructive criticism when it was none of my business.
hey guys, we had an awesome day... terry scored an anchor!

i scored that awesome swan statue on the anchor!... we didnt realize that the lake had already been cleaned dry by john and nate... whos shack is lurking in the background!

we drove back to show them up at how they missed an anchor as john was flexing his detection muscles...

so maybe next week we'll find a lake they havent scoured dry yet.

I can see that, I assumed you know my dry jabs. Most of the crap I type is for laughs.  I'll use more of them yellow circles with the funny eyes so we know it's obtuse or addle minded on purpose. Sorry I wasn't so clean.

Note: Tonka vis is poor. Maybe 15feet. Brown, dark, so bring lights or don't go. Three teams were out and they report same all over the lake.

Update: Well we know it's skill holding us back now if you two score 7 and Terry only get 1 Uht.
the funny thing was that we had a dive spot out of the [glow=red,2,300]master dive plan[/glow] all marked out and even plowed off for them! they didn't trust our good intentions  :o  ???  Sad and chose a different spot to dive! They were close enough to score 1 though  ;D. they then dove the speedboat from a tip from a fisherman  :Smile. we scoured that area last month looking for the plane. when I dug out the topper section, there was what appeared to be a strut attached. I thought at first that I found a wing from the mustang. My drysuit is still a semi dry so I only got it one 60 min dive in today.

It definitely was a good day diving. Good to see some new faces out there! Looking forward to a big dive crew in the near future. I think we have enough of a safety margin to crack open the master dive plan and allow some trickle down economics  Big Grin.

shawshank  8)  addle  ??? you gots to quite usin all them thar big words. 30 days in the hole!

what is oaa
think that you may have read that wrong. ooa not  oaa
Good to see Terry, Joe, and Molly today. We all had fun and the blackened grouper was great too. Viz was not that good with about 6'-8' viz most of the time. Nate found 3 anchors, and part of a truck topper before his dry suit wasn't so dry. I found 4 anchors, a remote control Minkota trolling motor (which is for sale by the way), a fishing pole and reel (Shimano Calcutta TE300 on a Fig Rig pole which is for sale also), and an ice dipper. The pole had a very big musky lure on it that was kinda neat to see. One of the anchors had this weird twist to the flukes like a propeller. Good to get company on the ice, and hope to do something similar soon.
John
Did some research on the stuff I found yesterday. Seems the Calcutta TE 300 reel is about $320 to $360 new and about 1/2 that used. The Fig Rig Tooth Tamer broke the tip off while taking it out of the truck last night (but it has a lifetime warantee) was about $90-$120 new. I am going to send this in and get a new one back. The Minnkota powerdrive trolling motor is $430 new and I think I can send it in and get refurbished. The 4 pound aluminum Fortress FX7 anchor is $133 new

#

#
Wow John you made quite a haul....  It's nice to see you all found each other and could make a fun afternoon gathering and comparing anchors.

The tally now is:

John 24
Nate 17
Terry 9
Steve 7
Art 2
Joe 1

A comment on the news story- They could of made it WAY better if they had talked and SHOWN a dive flag and TOLD people what it meant.  I feel the news could of provided an educational opportunity for our community instead of just a funny story.