MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nate and I had a HUGE day of diving at Green Lake yesterday. The amount of anchors found was not what made it huge, as I found 3 anchors and Nate found 4 anchors. There were a couple milestones met yesterday. Nate and I knew what was at stake to find the next anchor, so we flipped a coin to see who was going in first. He won and came back to the hole with a 18 pound lead shot filled crab claw anchor. This was the 100th anchor found in this seasons anchor challenge! If that wasn't enough, this anchor was also the 100th documented anchor to be harvested from the depths of Green Lake! I don't know if any other lake in the country has ever produced 100 documented lost anchors... maybe there is, but I don't know of any. Nate pulled three anchors from his first dive and his drysuit leaked a bit. I went in and plucked two out of this first ice hole. We then migrated North 300' and we dropped in again. Nate found one more anchor and I found one more anchor. I also found a cheap fishing rod, a spud, a tiny shot glass, and a rolled up banner sign. We don't often cut two holes as we hate to leave any anchors behind from not thoroughly covering an area. So with these latest additions the anchor challenge has produced 106 anchors so far, and Green Lake has had 106 documented anchors pulled from it.  8) Later I will type out the dates and how many documented anchors were pulled on each of those dates. I will leave out the names of people who pulled them as I will probably miss some. A little work with the search engine in this MNSCUBA site will give the details of each anchor pulled from this target rich environment called Green Lake.
Here is the breakdown (near as I can tell) that shows the dates for all of the documented anchors found in Green Lake, Isanti County, MN:
2-28-07:  3 anchors, a bar, a leatherman, & a camshaft
12-30-07: 6 anchors, a fiberglass boat, & a toolbox
1-12-08:  2 anchors
3-1-08:   2 anchors, & a wallet
3-9-08:   10 anchors (originally called the mother of all anchor dives) (Most anchors pulled by 1 diver)
12-26-09: 5 anchors, a boat, & a wood spud
2-6-10:   18 anchors (called the new mother of all anchor dives for the most anchors from 1 hole)
2-20-10:  8 anchors, rod & reels, & a flashlight
12-18-10: 12 anchors
1-1-11:    19 anchors (Granddaddy of all anchor dives for the most anchors from 1 hole)
1-9-11:    6 anchors
1-15-11:  5 anchors, a Mag light, & a fishing pole
2-19-11:  3 anchors, and a bottle of schnapps
2-26-11:  7 anchors, a spud, & a fishing pole

24! (that's pronounced )

Wink "1-1-11:    19 anchors" I knew it!

I just remembered, Terry and I pulled 3 or 4 from Green. One was that big tractor tooth so it's not #100 documented or 106 is't more like 114. You need to include the documented we pulled. Torry and I also pulled some and the post is probably lost in this BB. I know the photo of the tooth is here but I can't find it. Terry has it.
                        Thats right Steve, it looks to me like Neo's the only one from Team Insanity, not in a trance, "the karate kid??? what color is the sky above Green Lake?".
                        I too scored 4, I think so did Joe, my 4th (a Utah) is on someone elses camera,  I was so ashamed by it I wanted to stab myself with an ice pick, but fortunatley the strength of the Viking stopped it. Robert and Tullie also came with, but only Robert came back to the hole with gold, he was so proud and on his first official ice dive, it was made of lead and he wasnt even going to melt it down. Tullie searched so hard he cramped up. Then we started to break in my new saw  ;D. Steve was so exhausted from wrestling that iron from the deep he could barly tend, and as always, Molly was so impressed with the home team, she said she wanted to take me, out to dinner.          T
ArcFlash, what kind of pose is that? You look like a "Scuba Steve" action figure ;D. My Karate Kid pose was korny but being I don't know what Chi or Zen is... and I have never seen Karate Kid... Its the best I could do as far as themes. Speaking of themes... I am not too good at poems either.

Steve, did you really name your dog Oliver? Thats really cool but when Nate takes the lead in this thing, are you gonna re-name him Putbrese?  Smile

Your probably right Steve, I did a little searching a couple weeks ago through the posts and thought I came up with 99, but I would agree that I easily could have missed some. I did include the 5 you found with me and the 10 you found with Nate. Wanna hear something funny? When we found the 19 anchors in one hole, we had a serious overlap with the same radius that you and I did when you found 5 anchors and I found the boat the day after Christmas in 2009. What happened to the photo of your last 4 anchors are they under your bright red suit? Big Grin
ok, my friends are waiting to go eat sushi... so no funny stories

steve got 4 anchors

terry slitting his throat over his one utah from his first hole

i was holding out for more, but only came out with 4 from my first hole

and some video recaps of the day

A big thank you to Steve, Joe, Terry, Molly, Tullie for letting me join in on a great day of ice diving.  I had a great time for my first official ice dive after getting certified.  ;D  Ice diving ROCKS!!!

I will be melting down that big pile of lead to make some nice scuba weights.  ;D

Hope to join in on the next one you have.  Thank you again!
Thanks for a fun day gang!  (in spite of the crampy right leg)  sorry I didn't help pad the anchor numbers - better luck next time I guess.  Thanks Terry and Molly for putting up with my shakedown cruise slowness today!
My wife named the dog "Oliver" about 5 years ago. I then nicknamed him "Scooby" after the "Have you seen my small white dog" cover story used in Point Break to raid a drug house. As Oliver is a small white dog and Scooby is easy to say.

So the tending. I normally do a more traditional belay but my back was sore. I did something to it when I put gear in the truck, I strained something. I had been standing for hours and my back was sore so I sat down and tended for some time when I needed to recline for a moment to relieve my back. As you can see, I was still doing an attentive belay and Joe told me he'd pull if needed but at the time, I was the only one available to tend so I cowboy-ed up and did my job, all be it, seated and briefly supine. In my last defense, I've spent hours tending this year alone so I have better then average skills and experience to draw upon but I only did it because I couldn't take standing any longer.

I went back to page 1 of this and scanned the pages to see some older pics and it's surprising how much we've all done and how much I forgot about just this year. I think I've dove every weekend. We probably only have 3 left but with is 8 degrees this morning maybe we'll get late ice out and get to jump in April.

So how do we know the end date, When we can't cut holes no more? I suppose the only fair thing to do is to go until we can't. Anything else isn't fair to those trying to take first.