MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

John, with all due respect, the mammalian diving reflex is most pronounced in pre-puberty, meaning non procreative individuals, gives you, at the very most, 45 min submerged, you better keep a full set of gear, set up with you, to get those stricken back on the surface inside that amount of time. Do you practice just how quickly you could, arrive, grab gear, set up, and go after a submerged victim, in say a sunken car, perhaps that could be added to the challenge for next year.             
                    Let me know your thoughts, someone who has "expired" is at the opposite end of the spectrum, compared to someone who could still be revived, when in comes to a ticking clock.
                                                                              TRINITY
Hi Terry, I agree with you on the mammalian reflex being more probable on younger kids, and 45 minutes would be the outside of that spectrum of surviving. Even Olympic swimmers splash cold water on their face to help slow down their breathing rate prior to a big swim. I probably should have this conversation in a different thread to not mess up the fun side of things...
When I was talking about us using this anchor challenge as trainings for recovering missing people, I did not mean to recover live people (at least 95% of the time we would be looking at a recovery dive and not a rescue). What I meant when I was talking about 'shortening the recovery time' was to minimize the grieving process for the family members watching from shore. The sooner that we can find the victim and get them to the surface, the sooner the family and friends can get on with things. Note, in the PDF that there are some of the drownings that have an Astrix* after the info... Those people have not been recovered yet, and the family members still don't have that closure. That is the really, really sad part.

So... Sorry again for the negative waves. Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer". Just trying to make sure that as we finish up the season, we don't end up on a statistic sheet like that going after something as silly as an anchor. Might want to put a pony bottle on the seat this week end driving out on the ice Wink.

There are plenty of documented cases, of people, not just kids, being brought back after being submerged for almost 2 hours. Especially in the cold icy water. Yes, we do practice that scenario. In early ice, and these late ice conditions, my gear is assembled and ready to go by the door. Even though we know the statistics are against us, we don't want to lessen the odds further, by not being prepared or properly trained.

I know from experience, what "competitions" can do to safety protocol. Let's keep it safe out there and not become a statistic.

Last weekend we were the only vehicles on the ice on the two different lakes we hit, (in Wright Co.) but both launches were getting a little soft, one near moving water was not at all sound, though we still had 22-24" (about 17" of clear) on all 5 holes where we dove. Do appreciate the safety reminders, you guys too now.  Wink
Only one from last year is un-recovered. The others are listed as hypothermic deaths after recovery. Or that's my read on it.

I don't want to find anyone underwater except my buddy and he better be alive and well. I think I'd drowned if I found a real person. At a minimum, I'd bite the tabs off my reg.

Ok, back to the topic, So John, Last weekend, What's your plan to retake first and win? Show the page your diving?

We haven't picked a place yet. Our ROV is on the frits so we have to go old school and actually go look in person before we send in the divers. You know us geeks and sparks always finding way to be lazy. Smile

Its probably no surprize that we are going back to Green and scoop up any straggler anchors we might have missed. I am sure that the lake is hiding 4 or 5 more. Its also no real surprize that there are some pages in the 51 page [glow=red,2,300]Master Dive Plan[/glow] that we skipped to make the best use of our time.

As far as the electronics, We just picked up an AquaView and an auger (now that the season is about to end). We tried it a few times to confirm bottom composition. It takes up a lot of time so we will probably just cut a hole and physically jump in too. We will probably use a depth finder through the ice to make sure we are not going to cut our hole in 6' of water again. We are going to use the "Remote Access Dive Vehicle" (four wheeler) this weekend so that should give us the advantage if the lakes are not drivable this weekend.

We have another joint training scheduled with our Dive Team, Isanti County Safety Rescue and the Lindstrom Fire Department and their air boat for March 26th. That training is supposed to be a thin ice rescue training but it will more than likely be an open water dive. That one will be on Green Lake also. I am holding on to the hope that there will still be ice on the 26th and that the airboat will get us safely to an anchor rich training dive site.
We'll have to resort to pulling the sled. it's going to suck but no more the the first out on Elmo. It's the hill to and from was the workout. The lake was an easy pull.

You should really find a new lake. We've been all over, went to Cedar in WI, Elmo, Priour, Wacona, Tonka, Charlotte, Cedar in MN, South Center...I forget the rest.

You know us... We can't get enough of beatin' the dead horse, and that lake still has a pulse so we are going to euthanize it this weekend ;D.

and Orchard Lake,,,,

John, my friend, gotta agree with Steve, I believe you shoot yourself in the foot on experience to continue to jump the same hole. I understand that you want experience in the lakes of your county. Kind of like the last time I checked, I've dove the Madiera 35 times, but its not 35 wreck dives, its the same wreck, 35 times. Curious if theres any stats on depth where kids who've fallen thru the ice, and needed to be recovered, makes sense it would be close to shore, and therefore shallower
Steve,

I am not going to be pulling a sled this weekend.  I will be bringing my wheeler to pull out all our gear.  We can use my 4'X8' trailer behind the wheeler to put the gear in, and whoever wants can ride in it too.

I will let you pull your sled along, if you want.  ;D