MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
                        Ya, quit highjacking my thread, next we'll have the NRA wanting to advertise, unless they were looking to test run a 12 gauge bang stick as am emergency exit tool diving on thin ice, that might be kind of neat.
How about a 12 round recoil-less semi-automatic - for that extra thick ice of course.  :Smile

I have a 5.56 and a 7.62x39 power head if you want to try it  >Big Grin

I have a 5.56 and a 7.62x39 power head if you want to try it  >Big Grin
[/quote]

Think I'd stick with the 12 gauge over a standard NATO round, do shoot some woodchucks here in my backyard with a 22 LR using hyper velocity hollow points LR shells that stops them in their tracks, but point blank I'd prefer the shotgun. I was impressed on the first icing Steve and I did on Prior this winter on just how little ice you were pushing your way up thru from underneath with firm footing on sand in 3-4' of water, no coming thru 2" of clear.      T
I think if there ever was going to be a break through (pun intended) in an escape device for ice divers, it would be some sort of device that uses sodium acetate (like the re-usable hand warmers). They could be attached in a ring shape to a round cloth thing with neoprene on the bottom to insulate some on the bottom and direct the heat up on the ice. This cloth/neoprene bag could have a slight lip on the bottom so a small burst of air would hold it to the ice sheet. As it melts up into the ice, the air trapped below pushes it up higher in the newly formed hole. When not in use it could be rolled up and stowed similar to a lift bag. Do you hear the phone ringing? I think its the patent lawyer ;D
Id rather pack a knife to end myself instead of waiting for ice to melt

If you want I could calculate the huge amount of heat needed to melt through 30 inches of ice in a cold water environment... and I would tel you that

1 you would be cooked if you were near it
2 it would take a lot of it to melt a hole big enough to fit through
3 if if was strong enough to burn in water it would not be something you'd want hanging about

It would be neat to start some thermite on the ice next winter though... which I might have to try
I was thinking GREEN, not thermonuclear  8)... Besides it doesn't need to work, it just needs to sell Wink. It was a cheesy idea... but I would bet in the last 27 minutes (or 13, or what ever you have left of air) you would come up with some pretty ingenious ideas. After the obvious "stick your knife in the ice and wait for your safety diver to come by plan" like we all were taught, I would be hard pressed to think I wouldn't start carving a hole with my tanto tipped knife. This would burn up valuable air and it is not recommended, but I'm sure I would think about it plenty.
My first attempt at ice fishing was using a hatchet to chip a hole....30 min and on top where it's easier to use gravity....2" chipped out in a 6" hole....

It was a lot of years later before I tried again with a manual auger!
actually there is a solution. razor thin industrial diamond. long enough to transmit warmth of main water thru the ice. Ive seen it demonstrated. it will cut ice like butter. almost as fast as you can move it. it cuts not by the fact that it is thin, but by heat transfer.

actually there is a poor quality distance Pict i took from the road.if you guys had let me know ahead of time and i had more time, i would have planed to stay,and you'd have some nice pictures.
stef

PS.that was kinda funny, when we dipped over the hill driving in, seeing the dive flag and everyone walking around and all, was strange shocker!there were cars and dive gear and just a lot of dive commotion in a spot that is normally forgotten.