MNScuba.com

Full Version: Ice Diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone doing any ice diving this year?
Hi PMDischer, Some of us have been swimming in the hard water. Here is a link to the little game we have going on this season:

John
We could always use experienced ice divers. If your free most weekend I'll put you in the 'call' list for the dives I know of. If your busy, you call me when you have time and I'll let you know what the plans are for the weekend.

If you don't want to spend the day hunting anchors in local lakes, we may not be your group. Smile
I would love to go, but I am not what you would consider an experienced ice diver. I have only gone a few times. I think I can handle myself and would not need my hand held. I have had some training in overhead environments, but in no way do I feel I am an expert.  Maybe a group closer to my skill level would be better for me. I have tried to dive with people way above my skill level before and that just doesn’t work. Happy Diving

Don't be so modest Pat. I'd dive with you anytime  Wink
I really want to dive the Hopkins on Lake Minnetonka. Would you have any interest in setting something up? I could get the required equipment and set everything up. All you would need to do is show up and dive.
it will l be done later when the ice is thicker to drive out there... im all for diving, but its too damn far to have to walk there with gear
I agree. I only put the experience part on to be honest but we're not that full of ourselves. You can come out with us anytime. I didn't mean 'expert' I meant very new divers or those very new to local conditions. We've all been their and I'll help new divers in OW but I'm not interested for ice. If you can get geared up by yourself in an calm organized manner and maintain that competency throughout the dive, we'd love you to join us. 

I know this makes me sound like a jerk but it's really not true. We are just a couple of guys going out and goofing off. It's a real drag to be worried about your buddies dive skills. We've all see it, your buddy tugs at gear and exhibits signs of stress but keeps signaling that everything is "OK"

tonkas 20 inches. top 10 is milky frozen slush, bottom 10  is dark clear ice. then snow on top. Ive never seen so few ice houses and fishermen as this year. the bay i fished last weekend had one house were normally there is 40!

no one is going out. and the fishing is the best it has been in probably 20years! very strange. not sure if people are afraid to get stuck with all the snow we've had, or the economy, or what.

Popo, thats because there all at Prior Lake Wink. Pat we hit the ice pretty much every weekend all winter long, as long as you can run with Steves post here, your welcome to come with. The Hopkins is near the top end of Tonka wrecks but the Excelsior and Hercules are good wrecks too. Theres lots of season left, let us know if you want to join.      TRINITY