MNScuba.com

Full Version: any fish/water condition reports from northern / or west stide of state
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
curious if any freedivers have any good reports from northcentral or west side of state. twin cities greater area, Ive visited most of my fav spots and None have fish. very strange year.high water has fish pushed in and away from typical spots Ive seen them, cold water, and murky run off have ruined it so far. but Ive got hope that this weeks will calm down and stabilize somewhere.if not I'm thinking of switching tactics and search out spring water fed spots.
any thoughts or reports?
I was in Mille Lacs Lake (NE corner) testing some new gear for about 20 minutes last weekend. I'm not very good at this diving thing mostly because of equalizing issues, but I did hit bottom in 13 feet of water. I believe the wind had been out of the west for most of the week, so vis was horrible, I'm guessing about 3-4 feet because of all the particulates in the water. Water temp was 54 degrees.
Twin Lake at Hwy 81 and 100 had terrible fish kill this year due to heavy snow blocking sunlight and photosynthisis of the aquatic plants.  Not enough oxygen it water, fishermen said they saw dead carp on the bottom with their fish cameras while there was still enough ice to fish on.  I noticed it when I went out kayaking and saw thousands on the shoreline.
tonka on surface in some spots was 78deg on my fish finder! fish are now holding true to typical spots. two different spots i saw walleye in the 20inch size. got some very poor video were you can just barely make out the form of walleyes.did get one good video of a nice smallie that came right up to my camera hand to look at it!....and found at least one new fishing spot!
Was in Burntside Lake, Ely, MN for about 3 hours over the wknd. Vis was 10-15 feet. Water temp was 68. Deepest dive was 16 feet. Saw lots of large smallmouth and walleye in the 2-4 pound range.
attempted to go in to river this weekend but chickened out, its still way way to high and fast. on a side note saw afew carp and smallies from shore , swim by. in a different spot we saw some big carp butted up against a dam. might have to go back and bowfish afew.
a friend of mine went in breath holding at Phelps Mill 2 days ago.. said it was crazy.. made it across twice.. started out up by the dam but ended up way down river by the time he was across.  Crazy work out I guess.  Didn't even help to stay on the bottom.  He also noted that visibility was very poor.  He said there were too many people jumping off the bridge at Otter Tail to go in there, but the flow looked manageable.

Fred