MNScuba.com

Full Version: average amount of weight needed for dives with 7mm suit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
just wondering how much weight most of you guys use to sink your self while using a 7 mm suit, gloves, hood, jacket bc, and steel tank?  I know everyone, and all gear is different, just trying to get a gauge on it. I was using 14 lbs when I go certified with a 3 mm suit, and aluminum tanks.  I was able to pick up a 25 pound bag of lead shot to make my soft weight pouches out of, just hoping thats gonna be enough..  Thank you
Weight requirements vary quite a bit based on body type, exposure suit, water type, tank type, BC type, dive experience, etc.  When I wore a 7mm many years ago I think I used around 15lbs of weight with aluminum tanks in fresh water.  Nobody can tell you exactly how much weight you will need.  You need to go out to an easy dive spot like Square Lake with a buddy and do some tests.  Run down your air capacity to around 500-1000 psi and hang out at 15ft with no air in your BC.  Do you sink or do you feel buoyant?  Adjust your weight as necessary. 
ok, that sounds like a plan ;D  hopefully my 25 pounds will be enough for now.
25 is likely way more then you need.

I'm lean but I need 8 pounds in a full 5 mill and AL plate and AL tank. I forget how negative the plate is but it's probably no more then 2 pound.

12 to 16 is common.

Quote:I'm lean but I need 8 pounds

Twenty five is more than enough for me, and I make walruses look lean and prefer to be pasted to the bottom.
  ;D thats good news to me.
Let's not forget, what works today may not work tomorrow. Best to be a little negative and slowly take the weight off as you become more at ease in the water. I have been diving for awhile and feel quite comfortable blowing bubbles, when i dove last summer off the South Carolina coast, I wore a 3mm suit with 4 pounds and an aluminum 80 in salt water. Last time I wore a 7mm suit in MN here, I believe I wore maybe 10-12 pounds, and I am 5'8", 192lbs.

I don't recall you mentioning how many dives you had, but the more bubbles you blow, the easier it gets and soon the weight you wear today may sink you like a rock tomorrow.
thanks MC,  I have only 9 dives so far, all in Florida with 3mm wetsuits. hopefully 2 to 3 more dives this sunday down on lake okoboji though ;D  than in the next couple weeks I want to make it up to the mines you guys talk about so much ;D
Hello all,
I've been lurking around and decided to join in on the fun.  One suggestion (many of you probably already do) is to keep a log book in your dive bag.  Record all the important information as far as gear, rig, salt or fresh, and amount of weight worn.  You will soon be able to reference this information and feel confident in your choice of weight.  Being confident and comfortable in the water is half the battle.  Hope this helps.
Ok so here is what I have discovered with my weight..  23 pounds to sink me with full 7mm gear on, all the weight in a weight belt, and my feet like to go up. On my last dive yesterday, a guy let me use his ankle weights 1.5 pounds a piece, and that helped me a lot. Do any of you use ankle weights?
Pages: 1 2 3