MNScuba.com

Full Version: Freedive-a-palooza 2011
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
July 15-17, Lake Wazee, Black River Falls, Wisconsin
i would like to learn some more ,
and will plan to be there, 
where do i find your group ,(other than searching all swimmers..)  ? 

thanks.. 
bill
Wazee campground, Sites 9 and 11 I think. I'm heading up today and won't find out until I get there. You'd have to try to call me, Jeremy (651)261-3574. I'll answer if I'm not in the water. There's also a FII Level 1 course(Sat-Sun) for $400 that a few of us are taking. Not sure if you'd be able to register for it this late. Mark Lozano is the instructer, he's coming in from California,(949)292-1043 is his number if you want to ask him.
It would be fun to make a trip to Wazee for the weekend or even for a day but I'm way up in northern minnesota for the week and weekend.  I just did a search to find out when all this started.  I don't know who got it lined up for this year.. I think maybe "Whopperhead" aka Scott, from the deeperblue.net board.. or maybe Jon.  Here's an article that Jon Zeaman from Madison wrote about the whole beginnings of it.  Looks like this would be A-palooza number 8 or possibly #9.  Maybe I make the 10 yr reunion!

If you go, say "hi" to some of the original crew from me.

The years that I went it was a lot fun, I'd recommend the weekend for anyone interested in freediving!  It was a great casual get together, although it sounds like it's getting a bit more formal I'm sure it still has all the great camaraderie of the original.

Fred
Scott(Whopperhead) from Deeperblue is the one that's been organizing these the past couple of years. Rained Thursday-Saturday, so not as many people showed up as thought. Took the course and doubled some of my personal bests'. Serious equalizing issues, anyone know an ENT that knows diving problems? 3 years of not being able to equalize past 15 feet going head down. So far I've tried Sudafed, Neti-Pot, Afrin, Doc's Pro Plugs. Need big help!
you may have an issue that can't be cured with practice but many times just dedication to dry land practicing of equalizing throughout the day can really bring on an improvement.  Learn the Frenzel technique if you are not doing that way now, it creates a lot of pressure and uses minimal energy.  They probably tried to instruct you on that if you were having trouble.  Another thing about wazee.. it's cold water, and everyone tends to do the deepest dives after a few days of shallower dives and this can cause equalizing issues.  If you are going to go for depth in cold water, I think it might be better to do the deeper dives in the 1st day, before the cold water takes it toll on the sinuses and eustachian tubes.