MNScuba.com

Full Version: Icing chain saws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
any recomendadation for a chainsaw for icing? ive been asking around and some say that you dont need much hp to cut ice, smaller hp- saw is fine, and can add longer bar on small saw. any recomendations or things to avoid.

stef

My friend Stef shot this question to me as a PM, and I thought I'd throw it out on the forum in hopes of learning a bit more about saws, and helping Stef to get more/better opionions. I did a lot of reasearch before spending $1400+ on my new Huskavarna. I dont think there are any big high end chainsaws ( Stihl, Huskavarna, Johnsarud,) actually manufactured here  (in the US, no real surprise there anymore) the smaller Stihls are but their big saws are made in Germany. Both Huski and Johnsarud are made in Huskavarna Sweden. Saws seem to be very regional, it makes sense, what is for sale in your area is what people own. Stihl is probably the most popular brand here where Huskavarna is much more popular with the loggers in the UP.
                  The last few years I used a McCulloh PM 605 (I seem to recall 3.4 cu. in and the same for HP) with a 28" bar for icing and a 20" bar for cutting wood, it served me well for more the 25 years and still does just fine at both. 28" was the longest bar (8" longer then maximum rated) I could find to fit my McCulloh, and she did ice just fine with the rakers ground, although with the bumper teeth stabbed into the ice (and when your leaning into it) you could tell she was working for a living. The bar was an oregon afterrmarket bar, McCulloh went belly up some years back and has since reopened but without parts for the older saws, but you can still find (most parts) on the internet. I agree Stef you dont need as much HP cutting ice as you do wood, especially hardwood, and I think going above recommended bar length, cutting wood is likely to age the saw. I have ground the rakers (all of 75%) and it seems to cut faster, in ice, but have been cautioned against using a modified chain cutting hardwood, you only need to search chainsaw accidents pics to see what kickback/busted chain can do to your face, YIKES!
                  I think 28" is a good length for icing, it would of been fine all last winter, least the lakes we jumped, never saw more the 25-26", but ice can get too thick for that where you need to make second cut, after chiseling out the first block and still seeing hard water (you can see an example of that with Nate (taking a break  Wink), and his dog Neo in a hole from the icing challenge, that is going to slow you down) Most saw manufactores specs are for powerhead weight only, no bar or chain, the main clomplaint from those running big powerhead saws (above 6HP or so) is they get real heavy to hold, and I agree, you can tell the Huski at 7.1 HP is only ideling compared to the McCulloh at 3.4 HP cutting the same ice, but if I had to walk across the ice, oh, grab the McCulloh. Although I dont agree with just going with a 36-48" bar either. If you pierce the block all the way thru you bring up a lot of water for both your saw and clutch to deal with, but also the divers to deal with, so I tend to make a cut of about 8-10" at a pass, so the only "wet cut" is the final pass. The longer the bar the more shoulder you have to put into it as you loose your leverage so far from the tip, unless you stab the bumper spikes into the ice and pry with the blade instead, (typically what I do, by the 5th hole of the day), but then your back to piercing the block and all the water mess. We no longer auger corner holes, as it makes for more wet cuts and if your careful to not overcut at the bottom (by bring the blade vertical when your close to the cut from the other sides) of the ice block you dont have much of a line trap issue. We auger and drop a camera to check depth and bottom consistancy, then I just take a tape measure to check  ice thickness, and I've marked every 4" on my blade (with a permanent marker) to keep from piercing all the way thru.
                 I had too many issues with vegatable oil choking up my bar oil pump so I went back to regular chain oil with the volume adjustment cranked all the way back. I went with heated handles/ carb. on my new saw but in cutting holes in less then a min. ohhh, theres NO chance there warming up. I cut a neighbors big elm down this summer and you start to feel the warmth thru reg. leather work gloves after about, say 20 min. so the handles actually warm up about the time you need to take a break anyway.
                 I think if you could find an older bigger saw in good shape, (like young Joe did) that would be the way to go the new ones are pretty riduculous in price today, and I dont think their built as well. I paid $239 for my McCulloh new, long ago, and as long as you could still get parts she's probably got another 25 years left in her. Dont think 25 years from now I want to carry my Huski, least not too far. Heres a couple pics of the old and new saws.
                The icing season isn't too far off if you'd like to try my McCulloh or my Huski your welcome to. Hope this helps! Take care Stef.
Another thing is a lot of logging saws will have cold weather modifications you can to to reroute air, and prevent ice, snow, and water from fouling up the engine.

I agree with 28" being a good length, of course now its said well get 35 inch ice for the next 5 years.
northern tool has this 34cc 2stroke saw on sale for $149(14" which doesnt matter since id be swapping blades)

would this be enough, or too light duty?

Terry,

Looks like I will have a little competition this winter.
Hey dave, how many ice dives did you get in this winter? ;-)

Id say ice is way easier for a saw to cut than wood, with the longer bar its really more to do with how much you push it. A little saw can cut just as well, just will take a little longer. Didnt someone on here cut like 30 inches of ice with an 18" bar?

Hey Popo,
                              34 cc is pretty small, not something I'm use to, I mean, I grew up handling a huge tool. The only question is CAN you get a big bar (you can get ANY length of chain) that will fit that small of saw? That was the problem with my McCulloh, 28" was the longest bar I could find for it. I would recommend going above 50cc min.(even used) No doubt this winter part of, "Trinity's, second annual icing challenge" will be a speed challenge on cutting a big block loose, hopefully more then 30" (5' on a side triangle) riding it down (alone), to an open hole. So far, the only competitors (I know of) with an fair sized tool to compete, ( of course, with that huge tool of mine) are Young Joe (Hydro), with his Husky and dangerous Dave Torry (Mcdiver), with his Jonsered, and of course honarable mention to my friend Phil Kerber and his big Stihl. Anyone else with a huge tool, and of course the testero,,,means to drive it, feel free to jump on board.     Trinity
speed is not my goal at all. id just like to cut a hole in less than an hour! and not kill myself cutting it. also I'm built like a twig, my grandfather was a tree man, and I'm slightly ashamed that I can barely hold a saw. my challenge is starting it up without it sliding into myself. thus I feel id like the smallest saw that would do the job. don't know if they have some models with auto breaking or other creature safety features. so you had problems fitting a longer bar on your saw. that is something i should think out before. am i better to first buy the long bar, then attempt to find the saw(motor) for it?

I made the mistake of cutting the rakers completely off the new 36" chain before even trying it out. It cuts like a maniac, but maybe takes off a bit too much at a time. I think the trick is to not cut through the ice thickness right away. Its the water getting "pumped up" that bogs the saw down. I hate to admit it (but I took a cue from Trinity) and marked the side of the bar with 4" increments to contorl the depth of the cut fairly close. As so many have told Trinity over the years (many, MANY years) that size doesn't matter so much. The last pic is of Nate taking a break in a hole he was cutting with a 18" saw.
I would do some research on what you want to get before purchasing. Here are some things to think about when putting together a saw: The pitch of the saw versus what is available on the proposed bar (these can be anything but they need to match each other). The width of the kerf in the bar versus the thick of the chain (these can be anything but they need to match each other). The number of teeth per foot of chain (skip tooth is better in my opinion but mine is not). Length of bar (hence the maximum depth of cut with out "double cutting it"). Horsepower of the saw (more is better).
John Grind everyother tooth off!  It makes all the difference!  water is a big Resistance factor!
  My Ice saw has no raker's an every other tooth missing!  I think I cut my angles at 25 degrees too!  don't hold me on that one though!   
I hate to admit it (but I took a cue from Trinity)

it did make me smile though

Yo Popo, was just pimping you on speed, to really fly thru the ice, is going to require a modified chain and higher HP and some shoulder/back, especially above 26" thick. Theres no reason to hurry, well, other then when Scuba Steve starts to squeal about not having the hole cut yet  Wink To hurry just increases the risks, ESPECIALLY if your not use to handling a chainsaw a lot, too easy to slip on the ice, you should always wear some kind of ice talons too.  All saws have a chain brake, ( in front of the front/upper handle) and most will have some device under the blade to help catch the chain, if it derails or breaks. I wouldn't go with any less then a 28" bar and a pretty small motor will run that in the ice, not so much in wood, (the McCulloh did fine with it at 57cc) you just need to make sure if you get a small HP motor, if you can also get that long of bar to mount to it, it wouldn't normally be a common combination, least with wood. Maybe the aftermarket today is better then when I got my 28" for my McCulloh but that was as big as I could go on it at that time. Popo you could use, (not me, but what a lot of guys would refer to as a, little toy) 16" or 18" bar (like my buddy Nate in the picture  Wink) but in the dead of winter that will almost always require a double cut, so more work and you end up with an ugly hole, and who wants that. You should operate a two cycle engine at high RPM, (under load) meaning faster chain speed, most bigger saws at WOT (wide open throttle) means 60-70 feet per second, thats a lot of teeth, (well only half as many with Jeff's saw) but still wicked, so you need to be careful to not let a foot, or anything else slide into harms way
Pages: 1 2