MNScuba.com

Full Version: Anyone want to try drift/spearfishing in Apple River (WI)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

(I also posted this in the Dive Buddy thread)

I was just angling in the Apple River north of Hudson, WI this past weekend (by Cedar Lake Speedway) and noticed some big suckers and a few carp cruising around. Visibility might be sketchy once you actually get in the water, but it looked doable.
I'm an experienced spearfisherman in the ocean and freshwater lakes but have never dove a small river or stream and it's something I really want to try sometime.
Is anyone up for giving it a shot with me one of these Sept. Sat. or Sundays? I can't of course do it alone since we need 2 vehicles to do a drift swim.
As for the safety of two spearfishermen drifting down a small river, I do have some ideas on how we could do that without adding any unwanted, really big and ugly 160 pound "carps" to our stringer. I've been around risky sports long enuf that I've finally taken a "safety first" attitude with everything these days.
I plan on diving with a thin wetsuit this time of the year and the extra flotation will be welcome. The stream is definitely cooler than the lakes right now.
PM me if this sounds interesting.....

I can also wait till next spring, but hitting it without rainy, flooded conditions might be impossible at that time of the year.
I just found your post. id be up for that! might have two more pals of mine that have been bugging me to do just that. season is getting a tad late/cold. would mention that the river is murkier this year than ever for some reason. got something to do with the flooding. also river fish populations are realy sporadic(in my opinion) all my fav spots were realy tough bites(and sticks) this year. fish just weren't in my spots. some of those spots actually just dissapeared for the first time in my memory.anyways Ive got a shallow water boat that would handle that depth. so id launch out of marine and boat up the river. then float down. only problem is one of my motors i blew up, and haven't had a chance to  have a new powerhead put on.
Polar- check your PM

I'll report to the forum if we get out there this year