MNScuba.com

Full Version: Wilson Zebra Mussel Monitoring Survey and Clean up Project.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The GLSPS Just Completed its Final Project for the Year.

Saturday and Sunday September 17 - 18, 2011, seven divers from the GLSPS membership performed several dives on the Thomas Wilson  This project was the third annual and was very successful.  The biggest task that needed to be completed for this project was to count Zebra Mussels by strategically placing a round 2.5 ft hoop in certain assigned areas of the Shipwreck.  We then compared the data from previous years and presented it in a report on the GLSPS Website for all to see.  Some organizations and Schools are interested in what we found out, such as the DNR, MHS, and UMD.  Our research has provided much information and a greater understanding about the Zebra and Quagga Mussel infestation in the lower Lake Superior basin.  They are also very interested in how fast they are multiplying.  The reports will be presented on the GLSPS website soon.  As of this post, the report is not completed yet.  Please check back to the GLSPS website from time to time.

The Thomas Wilson is 1.5 miles North Northeast of the Duluth entrance / lift bridge.  The depth of these dives is about 50 to 70 FFW.  The last three years divers have notice an increase in the zebra Mussels attaching themselves to the wreck.  The GLSPS decided to keep a close watch on this growing condition around and near the Harbor in Lake Superior.

If you would like to see the report, you can log onto the website at and go to "Project Reports 2011" and read about the Wilson Project.  You don't need to be a member to read the reports. However, like I've said in the past, we do encourage you to join the GLSPS as a member to receive more benefits from being a member.

Your comments are certainly welcome about the Wilson Project or any other project the Society sponsored and performed this year. 

I would like to thank all that volunteered in the planning and, the financial support of all the current members.

See you on next years GLSPS Projects.

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
GLSPS Board of Directors

* Note:  Picture below Provides a look at what the Mussels look like.  The Mussel on the left is a Zebra Mussel and the Mussel on the right is a Quagga Mussel.

Hi Phil, Looks like another good project.
                      Just one question, if the St. Louis river (far west end) is the largest of the roughly 200 rivers and streams entering Superior, and the St. Marys river (far east end)  is the only natural exit, would the area of Duluth and the Wilson not be considered, upper lake Superior/upper Lake Superior basin?    Terry
I'm curious if anyone knows if zebra muscles can relocate and move short distances. Ive seen them fixed in spot, but i swear Ive seen them relocate into a structure. faster than they grow.

Wilson Zebra Mussel Monitoring Survey and Clean up Project

Thanks guys for your comments.  Both of you present excellent questions.  Unfortunately, I am not the resident expert on this subject but I can get back to you as soon as I can with an accurate answer to the excellent questions both of you presented.

A UMD Professor that we've been working with has always described the Duluth area of Lake Superior as the lower part of the lake rather than upper.  Not ever questioning him I thought his description had some degree of accuracy.  It is true that the St Louis River has many tributes supplying water further up stream and from other creeks, waterways and Rivers.  The St Louis River is one of those Rivers that travels North.  It flows right into the Duluth and Superior Harbors and out into Lake Superior.  One would think it would be higher in elevation since it flows that direction.   Truthfully Terry, you have peaked my curiosity in needing to find out if it is in fact suppose to be referred to as the Upper Lake Superior Basin.  I will quiz the professors this weekend from both the University of Minnesota Duluth and University of Wisconsin Superior.  They will most likely be at the "McDougall's Dream" Fund Raiser this weekend in which I am attending. 

"Popolarbear"  I am not absolutely sure about the Zebra Mussels having the ability to move around to other areas of its surroundings and reattaching themselves.  I will research that as well.  From the data collected on last weekends project, its hard to believe that they move around since they have many layers of silt on them.  Just an observation. 

I will get back to both of you as soon as I can on the two questions presented in another post.  If I am wrong on the upper basin verses lower basin, I will nobly stand corrected.

If any of you resident experts can answer any of the above questions in the mean time, please feel free to do so.  This is an open forum and all comments are welcome. 

Thanks again for your input.

Phil K