MNScuba.com

Full Version: Diving fatality at Whitefish Point, Lake Superior
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

My condolences to the family of the deceased diver. My thoughts also go out to Brian. I'm sure this situation is one you prepare for, but hope never to encounter, as a charter boat captain.

Note: Brian has clarified via a facebook posting that these were certified technical divers, not rec divers as suggested in some news articles.

Thanks for posting this Jason. I had not seen it on the news. Besides Derril's family and Brian, my thoughts and prayers are with the others divers in the group. I have dove with them many times in the past and I was very close to joining them on this trip. I can't imagine how difficult this is for them.

Thanks for posting this Jason. I had not seen it on the news. Besides Derril's family and Brian, my thoughts and prayers are with the others divers in the group. I have dove with them many times in the past and I was very close to joining them on this trip. I can't imagine how difficult this is for them.
[/quote]

Agreed and well stated Ron & Jason. My condolences to all involved
Thanks to both of you.  Derril was an excellent diver and buddy.  On his last dive, he was in good shape, well within his training & experience, had well-maintained equipment, was never separated from his buddy, had plenty of breathing gas, didn't miss a stop or have an uncontrolled ascent.  The ME has not yet determined the cause of his sudden death about 2 minutes into his first stop, at 70 feet.  We were on a well-run, reputable dive charter.  We will always miss Derril, and he leaves behind a huge number of friends and loved ones.  There are quite a few inaccuracies in the news coverage, and I hope anyone posting comments in this forum or elsewhere will keep Derril's loved ones in mind.
I am deeply sorry to hear about Darril. My prayers go out to his family and friends during this difficult time.

Please accept my condolences.

cpkarate
(Bob G)