MNScuba.com

Full Version: Lake Conditions - D.L., Perham, Vergas Area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
jeesz.. I better get back to the lake then..
Fred
Ah yea , daily reports would be just fine. Maybe even a morning and an evening report.... Wink

Jean
Past weekend:
W.McDonald - dove down to -30' - vis was 15' from surface with a bad layer between -23' and -26' which brought the vis at -30 to between 5 and 10'.
Big Cormorant - dove down to -20' - vis was 6' at surface, 1' at -20, this may have been a layer, that could I have gotten through, may have had better vis but after sticking my face in the bottom decided I'd seen enough.
Pelican Lake - where the Crystal Pierz clean up was held, dove down to -26', vis was about 6' at surface and similar or slightly better if you had a bright tank on your back at -26' with a bad layer about 2 feet thick at around -20' or so that really absorbed the light.
Past weekend July 19th...:
Lake Six - dove down to -32' - off boat landing could just make out the platform (-10) from surface , could see from one end of platform to other on platform, vis suffered at deeper depths, rather dark, lot's of particulate.. maybe 5' vis...seemed if I put my face right on the bottom I had better vis so maybe the layer ended at around -31' ??.
Lake Seven - dove down to -32' - vis was about -10' at surface and at depth... not quite as dark as L.Six.. lot's of fish though, great dive.
Big Cormorant - Dove to -21', still rather poor vis, -6' from surface, maybe the same or slightly less at depth, kinda dark even at only -21'. (hint - don't try and remove a hook from a bullheads mouth with your fingers even if (especially if..) the bullhead has a spear stuck through it's back)
although I didn't dive w.mcdonald from the dock it looked to be about the same as Six or Seven.
Fred
YEECH...Bullhead spearing!!! Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Jean Smile

P.S. Thanks for the update. Looks like your conditions aren't that much different than ours down here...Go Figure Tongue
Don't fret about about bullhead Jean.. he got back at me :Smile Not that I haven't speared a bullhead or two.. but my stepson actually got this one.
Fred
Do you actually eat the bull heads, or do you just spear them to get them out of the lake?
since the speargun was back in the boat had this one not had a hook and line in it's mouth I would have let him go. One of my uncles was "hooked" on bullheads and loved coming up from Illinois to fish the rivers for bullheads.. he'd skin 'em and eat 'em. I generally just spear 'em and bury 'em.
Fred
Weekend of 7/26th-28th,
I dove 4 lakes this weekend.. here's what I found.
Lake Six down to -27'. vis above 20' not bad but vis below that is suffering. Lot's of particulate. Lot's o' crappie to swim with though around the platform and that's always a hoot.
Lake Seven down to -31'. not a whole lot different than lake SIx.. but lot's of fish of the walleye brand to swim with. Maybe not too bad of vis at the bottom..maybe 6'.
B.Cormorant down to -20'. is improving but still poor.. 6 -8 feet of vis from surface, less at depth.
Turtle Lake by Cormorant..down to just short of -50'. I was expecting fantastic vis as DNR rates this lake to almost 20' w/secchi. It was v.clear in the first 10' then suffered terribly. getting dark at -25' and I could only see about 3' of my 1/2" white rope at -50. Totally dark. I thought I'd see what the bottom of this lake looks like at -65' but it was so miserable at -50' I turned around. The girls enjoyed a snorkel with the very clear water and all the weeds and fish in the <10' range. How can a lake be so clear in the shallows and so dark in the deep?
W.McDonald heard from my brother that it was poor at -20'.... but what does he know Wink

Next weekend plan is for Little McD and Paul.. maybe W.McD too.
pic is of son-in-law in boat on L.Seven

Fred
Thanks for the update Fred. At least we are not the only ones suffering down here with luke-warm lake viz...Cool picture BTW!!! And of course I will really be interested in how Lake Paul is holding out.

Jean Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4