MNScuba.com

Full Version: Huricane Isaac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here we go again. Hurrican Isaac has New Orleans in its crosshairs.

Here at John Deere, we are sealing off the buildings in preperation for all the rain and wind that is expected to hit us. At this time, Louisiana is in a State of Emergency and the National Guard has already been deployed.

Will the fun ever stop?

Can't wait to get back to Minnesota.
Be safe Dave and good luck to the folks down there.
John Deere closed its doors at noon on Monday. We have 3 huge buildings where various products are manufactured and assembled, each building has around a dozen or so huge overhead doors, these were being sealed Monday morning. We are expected to be closed through possibly Thursday. There goes my vacation. I have already booked my flight back to Minnesota on September 22nd. Nothing beats fall diving in Minnesota.

As of 6am Tuesday, the eye of the hurricane has not really been defined, in fact, they are looking at perhaps evan downgrading to a Cat 1. Radar is having a tough time tracking the hurricane.

I am located in Thibodaux, about 65 miles southwest of New Orleans, 15 miles north of Houma. I, along with many others are going to be riding this hurricane out. As long as we remain on the west side of the eye, we should be okay, just a lot of flooding. Hurricanes spin in a counter-clockwise direction with the leading edge being most devistating. As it crosses land, by spinning counter-clockwise, the winds are crossing land which slowly break apart the winds.

When I came here in January, I was told that I should consider buying a generator, "just in case." So I purchased a Honda EU3000is within 30 days, what a sweet generator. Luckily I did, generators are flying off the shelf. As of Monday afternoon, Lowes and Wal-Mart do not have any A/C units left and Lowes are sold out of generators. With the watertable being so high, nothing is buried, so all power lines, telephone lines, etc. etc. are damaged. So when a storm hits, communites are without power for typically a week or longer.

I have my dive camera (waterproof) ready for some pics and maybe a video.
nature has a way of shutting down illegitimate hurricanes  :o

good luck.
Lost power around 7:15 this morning, with no A/C going, my townhouse is slowly turning into a sauna. Back in February I purchased a wireless indoor/outdoor temp & humidity console. Right now it is 77 degrees outside, humidity is at 98% (which is typical), indoors the temp is 78 degrees with humidity at 74%. So you just sit and sweat.

We are presently in the eye of the hurricane with the worst yet to come the Sheriff says. So it is calm outside, a slight breeze and a light rain.

Down south here they typically lose power and it usually takes anywhere from 5-7 days to restore it, depending on the damage. The last hurricane that went through here 4 years ago, they were without power for over a week. So we are in a wait and see mode at this time. With the water table being so high, all power lines, telephone lines etc. go down quite easily. The trees do not have a deep root system, so they tend to uproot quite easily.

I do have a generator, but gas prices are spiking, so I will run mine sparingly, mostly in the evening and overnight so that i can at least run a fan to try to cool me off as I try to sleep.

A person has to have of determination to live in an area that is NEXT TO THE OCEAN and, on average, 8 feet below sea level.  Amazing  :o  (IJS)
Can't wait to get the "Heck out of Dodge." I am guessing that I will be here until perhaps the end of July next year. That is when the project that I am helping to design goes into full production.