MNScuba.com

Full Version: Clean up dive May 3rd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Great idea!
Prize categories are great, but a question about "heaviest" and "largest quantity". Any safety hazard factors there? Fast repetitive dives, overloaded collection bags, items too heavy for "recreational" recovery, etc. seem to add a risk (liability?) factor.

Strangest, most valuable, distance traveled seem not to have any extra risk. Maybe add specific items like Budweiser can, jewelry, cell phone, shoe or boot, discarded non-DIR dive gear, etc.
I guess you could qualify it by saying that any heavy object has to be brought up with a lift bag. Everyone is a responsible diver and should use common sense.

I don't think anyone plans to make it real competitive. I'm not going to try to hurt myself or my buddy over a t-shirt. Wink If we set the right tone then everyone will have fun and stay safe.
Now here's another dilema- How do you think we should judge each prize category? Vote or designated judge? Any other ideas?
furthest to attend
this might get me there... but I suppose someone will have a friend from Mars show up or somthin' :Smile
Fred
How about the item most likely to make you sick Tongue

Person who brings along the most friends 8)

Once it is agreed what the prizes are a voting card could be printed up. It might be fun tallying up the votes on a board. In some of the treasure dives a random number is attached to each prize. Then as each winner is selected they select the next prize number and the winner is given whatever prize is associated with the number.

So before the dive:
* Decide what prize categories will be awarded
* Make a list of prizes (Make sure prizes will be on hand)
* Make a voting card
* Create a prize board showing prize numbers but hiding the actual prize associated with it.

At the event:
* Assign each diver a number.
* Each diver piles their booty by a stake with their number
Everyone votes by diver number (Include non divers and passers by to reduce self voting bias) (Or here we might choose an impartial judge or panel)
* Each vote winner selects the next random number off the prize board and takes their prize.
For a local pumpkin dive , all the divers voted on each others carvings. This seemed very fair and was actually quite fun. I think this might be a better idea than having a judge. IMHO!!!
Then we are all judging ourselves!!!!
We probably would end up taking the "junk" up to the parking lot since there isn't a whole lot of room along-side the road (boat launch). And those big trash barrels up there would be great for permanent storage! I will let you guys decide whether we should have a heaviest-item category. Not quite my cup of tea...One other thing...You get a bunch of us crusing that area just outside the weeds and the silt is going to be flying like crazy. Could make it very interesting...

As of this morning we have:
Chris
Jasondbaker
GP
SUBMERGED
JDavis?
Jean

Thanks...Jean Smile
Of course you can count me in as well... E-mail has been sent Wink
I'll be there.
DanL
Start time on the 3rd will be at noon. We obviously will meet in the parking lot. Hopefully there won't be too many other people parking up there so we can have the area pretty much to ourselves.
More to come!!!

Jean Smile

P.S. Thanks Dan
That makes 6 confirmed and 1 questionable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5