MNScuba.com

Full Version: new ice diving challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

anyone?

also he did a Q&A on reddit about freediving
I don't see myself doing that any time soon..  Big Grin

I like the post.
He is the man! I never heard of him before your post, so I checked out another of his videos where he held his breath for 22 minutes setting a world record. Here is that video:
nice find hydro!

I can think of a few more guineis book records that could be done.

most hamburgers eaten while ice diving, most crayfish caught be hand while ice diving,longest swim,most divers in hole,longest tank dive,...etc etc.

how do these things get verified?
I wouldn't mind having one of these obscure records myself
... Most anchors found in one ice diving season :o... Most bottom time in one ice diving season :o... Longest ice dive on a single tank :o, OOPS, I thought I put that hickory switch away. My bad >Big Grin

Ya John you put that old hickory switch back in your ass, where it came from. :-*
                               This guy does look like he's in pretty good shape, dont know about Stig referring, to himself as the, "ultimate super human", (have to ask his woman about that one, :-\) does kind of go along with the master race mentality though.                    Might be a good time this winter to set up a lake traverse, pick a compass heading, put someone on the chainsaw as fast as I am, put someone on the line with as good of SAC rate as John claims, have sufficient tenders, and line, and see what we could cross. I have continous rolls of measuring tape that will get us 3000' (marked a foot at a time) Have to unclip and reclip every 300-400' what do you guys say?           Trinity

that sounds pretty cool, depending on snow cover itd be easy to make a path on the ice, if not auger holes... also curious if food coloring would show up enough through the ice. could have multiple saws cutting holes, if we got conditions like last winter on that day on medicine with clear ice.... MAN why didnt we try that??!

I think it would be a good adventure, pretty easy w/o snow cover, little trickier with, (I guy would need to stay on that compass though to not miss your next unhook/re-hook hole, once were buried in the snow), will need lots of line to be able to keep the diver moving too, and stay out in front of him. Mast,,,,,I mean, I'll, pick up another 600' spool of 1/2" poly, I have 1200' already. You and I Joe have both been 400' out under the ice I don't see any sense to run any further from the hole then that, at any one time. Would need a clear shot from fish houses too, so none of us end up hooked like that yahoo on Lake Waconia a couple years back. Put a 6-12' leader on the diver's main line so he stays submerged the entire run, and have the surface tenders swap lines. Pulling a line straight is a lot easier then pulling a circumference, so how far could we make on a single 80 at a depth of 2-5'?  Trinity
I'm up to just about anything.  I haven't did any diving all summer.  :'(

Racing was fun though.  ;D

Let the dead horse beating commence... I know for a fact that an average schmuck like myself can swim at least 3,300 lineal feet under the ice with an 80 cf tank (and longer with a 120). How do I know this you ask? If you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it (and I don't think any of you are willing to repeat it any time soon >Big Grin). I looked back at the stats from the good old days and found these stats from the original challenge:

"I can't speak for team Gilligan on the numbers of holes cut, but Team Isanti only cut 15 holes all season. Between the two of us we pulled 90 anchors out of those 15 holes. I think our MASTER DIVE PLAN had 51 pages and we only used 15 of them. We went with one hole per day except for one day we cut two holes. Most days we did two long dives each... none of this mamby pamby 15-20 minute stuff for us. The average dive time for my 24 ice dives was 46.25 minutes per dive.  Nates average dive time for his 21 ice dives was 47.9 minutes per dive. My longest ice dive was 81 minutes and Nates longest ice dive was 91 minutes. Like I said before when I was hinting to what made us successful... The anchors are on the bottom and the more time you spend on the bottom looking, the more you will find.   There has been a bit of amazement as to the reasons why we hit Green Lake so much. Green Lake used to have the most anchors per acre, and had the State record for the most anchors coming out of one hole... 3 different times. 18 anchors from one hole, 19 anchors from one hole, and then 20 anchors from one hole! I am proud to be a part of those three times. Here is a quote from me in the thread that talks about the search patterns we used primarily:

First diver would cover from 25' to 100' radius
Radius         Diameter          Circumference
25'              50'                  157'
37.5'           75'                  236'
50'              100'                314'
62.5'           125'                 393'
75'              150'                471'
87.5'           175'                 550'
100'            200'                 628'

This diver swam 2,749 lineal feet on this inner half of the 150' radius search area.

Second diver would cover from 112.5' to 150' radius
112.5'          225'                 706'
125'             250'                 785'
137.5'          275'                 864'
150'             300'                 943'

This diver swam 3298 lineal feet on this outer half of a 150' radius search area.

So here are the fun numbers:
For each hole (between the two of us) we efficiently searched 70,686 square feet (or 1.62 acres). While searching each hole (between the two of us) we swam 6,355 lineal feet (or 1.2 miles).

Over the 2010/2011 ice diving season (between the two of us) we efficiently searched 1,696,464 square feet (that is one million, six hundred and ninety six thousand, four hundred and sixty four square feet for those that are challenged when it comes to numbers) or as us farm folk like to say 38.94 acres. While searching for those elusive anchors (between the two of us) we swam 152,520 lineal feet (or 28.88 miles)"

These numbers were dragging a 1/2" rope perpencicular to the diver on a concentric circle search pattern, and with out the drag, the distance could easily be made longer. What you all do is up to you, and I am not always the poster child for following the "rules". I have personally only been out to 250' from the hole and that was during a disconnected diver drill where I was on the secondary (longer) rope looking for a mocked up "disconnected diver" that was using a 150' rope. During this drill we did not have a longer rope to come get me if I actually became the "disconnected diver" and I am not sure how far we would have had to drive to go get one in a hurry. I may as well have been on the surface of the moon, and I felt kinda uptight out there at 250'. So as far as safety divers for a dive at 400 feet out... you may as well not have anyone suited up ready to go get the disconnected diver.

In the pace of the tenders trying to keep ahead of the diver by leap frogging ahead... I see mistakes just waiting to happen. Just my opinion, but I would suggest you come up with another challenge so that I can dive with you guys sometime later.

John
Pages: 1 2 3