MNScuba.com

Full Version: Socorros
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got back from a trip of a life time! Spent 8 days on the Solmar V in the Socorros Islands. The 24 hour crossing was calm both out and back. That made the trip a lot more enjoyable. We made our way out to Roca Pardita and waiting for us was a Humpback whale and her baby. They think the baby was only weeks old! The mother was so relaxed she just layed there while her baby played and we took pictures. Inbetween dives we would snorkle with her and she had no problems with us hanging around. This lasted for two days! We also saw lots of Hammerheads, Silkies, White Tips, Silver Tips and more. We had a few Mantas but not as many as we hope for, but they were around the area from time to time. As we made our way back to Socorro, We were also able to snorkle with False Killer Whales. Another neat experience I will remember!!
If anyone has the opportunity to get to Socorro, take it, it is fantastic!
Nice report! This region is definitely on my list -- Socorros, Cocos, Galapagos, etc. What did you wear for exposure protection and how many dives did you make each day? What was your departure port?
We left Cabo San lucas, it was a 24 hour boat ride to the first island. We did our check out dive there in the afternoon. We then went another 3 hours out to Socorro and did 3 dives as we had to check in with the Mexican Navy. That night we went 9 more hours out to Roca Pardita. At Roca we were allowed to to 3 dives a day as all dives are done off the pangas. We snorkled between dives as the whales were right there. It felt like we were in the water all day, 3 dives were plenty. On our way back we did 4 dives a day as we could do them off the back of the boat. I think we did 18 dives for the week.  Cabo is ok, its more of a college town but nice. The fishing in Cabo is great, I would go back just to try that some day!
Nice trip if you get chance. I would recommend the Solmar V we had great service!