MNScuba.com

Full Version: 2 months of rain superior/lake water clarity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey anyone have water condition reports for lake superior?(maderia?)
also interested in other lakes around the area.
ive been busy this summer. but the few spots im checking are very murky.

Ya Popo, today they started "no wake"  on all of Medicine Lake due to, "high water" (sorry for the pun Joe) and will continue till it drops
ha ha! warm weathers got tonka starting to clear up. weeds growing in thick now also. kinda happy.
ha ha. thanks everyone for so much information. since no one else knows, i had to check it myself.
this is the current clarity for duluth to two harbors/ split rock.
duluth has coffee. you could drink it. vis at best a few inches. probably not even that.
every little creek has dark brown water pouring into superior. and dropping vis down.

in several spots there was water quality walls were on one side it was dark brown, on other fairly clear blue. out some distance from shore by the time you got to almost two harbors water was brown on shore yet clear out far. at split rock it was brownish on the shore starting at around 5-8ft or so. as you swam out it got clearer. by the time you hit 20ft vis was beter. vis is somewhere around 20-30ft or so.

strong shore currents at the point. but not bad if you stay back from the tip.

also i was watching little baby fish that looked like gobbies. and alot of rocks are covered in thick brown algae.I dont remember this stuff being here previously.

if anyone lost something in the last few weeks. contact me with description and its yours. nothing special. hint its not really valuable but you would want it.
ha ha. waters clearing up on tonka. bite is now going down at night! one of the best musky pictures i have taken. ladies added for background. minnetonka last night around midnight.enjoy
ha ha, several new wrecks !

did you find them diving Tonka?
Did you get any water temp readings?  Would be interested to know surface and at depth, as Madeira is on my to-do list this summer, and I don't own a drysuit.

Thanks,
James

NOAA usually has temp readings for the great lakes.

Unless we have a VERY warm summer up here, and it's the middle of August, a wetsuit is not recommended while diving the Madiera.  Pilot house is down around 80 feet...you just never know what the temps are going to be like!
Pages: 1 2