MNScuba.com

Full Version: spearfishing asian carp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
im interested in new asian carp that are moving slowly across country.
i hear they are actually tasty. something to do with the fact they are filter feeders on plankton, not bottom feeders. might depend on which water body they are harvested from. anyone doing this yet?
you talking about this horrorshow?

haven't taken the asian carp but have tried the regular carp..had it smoked.. ugh. the one I tried I couldn't eat, it tasted like swamp! A friend had smoked one up previously and brought it to a party and it was gone in no time. So maybe just depends.
Fred
common carp, should ideally be smaller to eat. say under 5lbs. water is going to change flavor alot, its just like eating walleye close to a paper mill, they will have the taste.
the asian carp are feeder of plankton, at the base of the food chain. I hear very solid firm and tasty to eat. even to the point that some government officials are afraid that the public may start to demand it once they try it.if you look at them, they don't look that much like carp, to me they look somewhat like some of the odd salmon species.

Smoking carp isn't bad... but getting them lit is the hard part Big Grin

Smoking carp isn't bad... but getting them lit is the hard part Big Grin
[/quote]

Have you heard on the news that the MNDNR is going to change the name of Asian Carp?

'Asian carp' gets a name change in Minnesota Senate
Associated Press
POSTED: 04/28/2014 12:01:00 AM CDT | UPDATED: A DAY AGO

The term "Asian carp" has become endangered in Minnesota.

The state Senate on Monday approved a measure that would rename the fish "invasive carp." It's a response to concern by some people that the current term casts people from Asian cultures in a negative light.

Senators added the proposal to a larger bill that governs Minnesota natural-resource use. That legislation returns to the House, where it passed earlier this month without the name change.

Champlin Democrat John Hoffman said on the Senate floor that referring to the fish as "Asian" was hurtful to some people.

Officials have been trying to block the non-native fish's progress into Mississippi River and Great Lakes ecosystems.
I'm still waiting for them to change the name Swedish meatballs to something else...
I understand the people in Buffalo, NY are in an uproar now over the Large Mouth Buffalo fish.. when the heck does it end???

I have discussed this with other asians in the community. some find the change more offensive. almost like the word asian is being looked at by the state as offensive. many americans deem the word carp as offensive. and i find that offensive in itself.
carp were stocked by MNDNR in the early 1910's days. kinda a magical time period in our history. half of the population of norweigen/sweeds came here . some were just under a million or so. now due to low fertility of these ethinic population they only represent less than 100,000 or so. in two more generations this state is on track to be mainly somali. with population estimated by some to exceed 1million.
this is difference between females that have fertility rate of 1.8 vrs 3.2

some fed officals are worried that if americans taste the new carps that they will prefer and demand this fish's meat, and that the current populations will not be enough to supply the increased demand for this meat. infact many waterways will need to be cleared of junk fish like walleye/pike in favor of superior flavor of this new fish. much like lobster was originally the food fed to slaves in the keys during the early years of american history.

I have discussed this with other asians in the community. some find the change more offensive. almost like the word asian is being looked at by the state as offensive. many americans deem the word carp as offensive. and i find that offensive in itself.
carp were stocked by MNDNR in the early 1910's days. kinda a magical time period in our history. half of the population of norweigen/sweeds came here . some were just under a million or so. now due to low fertility of these ethinic population they only represent less than 100,000 or so. in two more generations this state is on track to be mainly somali. with population estimated by some to exceed 1million.
this is difference between females that have fertility rate of 1.8 vrs 3.2

some fed officals are worried that if americans taste the new carps that they will prefer and demand this fish's meat, and that the current populations will not be enough to supply the increased demand for this meat. infact many waterways will need to be cleared of junk fish like walleye/pike in favor of superior flavor of this new fish. much like lobster was originally the food fed to slaves in the keys during the early years of american history.
[/quote]

Now that I'm getting over the MERS (middle eastern respiratory syndrome) where I could hardly breathe for a couple days, (after diving in Howard Lake), I had some symptoms like the Hong Kong flu, but as you'd expect with a name like MERS, its much nastier. Even young Joe ended up with a 101 degree fever for 3 days after just talking with me on the phone while I had the MERS, that's how bad it is!
As a guy who's dove under a pirate flag a time or two, awhile back when I went to see the Tom Hanks movie "Capt. Phillips" I half expected to see a bunch of Somalia's protesting that they were being wrongly portrayed as a bunch of lawless pirates, off the coast of a lawless country, without so much as a functioning government for several decades now, but not a one. I did see a couple bumper stickers though that said "Somalia" across its flag colors, showing their ethnic pride.
This country is made up of "invaders" no one originated here. Sure American Indians where here when the white man showed up, but even they were invaders, they didn't start here. So it makes sense, as the planet becomes a smaller place, we will have to deal with the sea lamprey, zebra mussels, ruffe, milfoil, and invasive Asian carp, (that makes me laugh just to type, like saying I turned the crank manually, by hand).
After watching the video Joe posted I think it would be a great time to bring out the 12 gauge's, one guy on the front, one on each back corner of say, Popo's boat. JJ at the helm. Each shooter has one spotter to verify/count the clean shots. JJ gets credit for anything that lands in the boat, shot or not, encouraging him to operate the boat as one large landing net, just to add a little challenge fer the shooters. Now that sounds like a good time!
Pages: 1 2