MNScuba.com

Full Version: Best snorkeling in the metro! right now!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
me and stick500 did some fantastic freediving today. one super secret spot, and one super clear spot we all love. vis possibly around 20ft!

this is amazing water clarity. grays bay on downstream side of dam. visibility is about 20ft. due to zebra muscles and milfoil in front. wayzata bay and grays is probably around 8-10ft vis. so this is local phenomenon. just in this one spot! highly recommend snorkeling this spot now. water is warm. bottom is sand, and current is dropped down to slow. small fish to see also.

Clear water

Walleyes

enjoy

big fish from stick!
I just hope this is a continuing trend for future summers as far as water clarity in the eastern parts of Tonka goes. If it is due to the zebras, I gotta say I'm not so bummed they got into the lakes, if only for the selfish reasons of good vis for diving.

I can verify what Popo is reporting- it is a lot of fun right now! I just hope more fish move into the area below the dam like they did last year about this time- saw just about everything that lives in the lakes in that little area last Aug.-Sept. Good safe place for kiddy snorkeling, too even though there is a bit of current.
been back several more times to the dam, it is fantastic. some pals of mine that can barely swim tried, and loved it. we put them in floating wetsuits. now they are ready to do it again! last trip we saw some turtles. and as the sun went down, large sunfish came from who knows where? and afew larger bass!