MNScuba.com

Full Version: Is anyone still hunting carp in the metro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With this forum being so quiet this summer you would think Popo and I are the only ones out of the 3 1/2 million people in the metro doing any shooting around here!

The carp are still in the shallows but they tend to start to disappear around this time of the year. Anyone have tales of seeing lotsa carp or some really big cruisers in the metro? Not that I need any new spots (not having any trouble at all finding fish), just wondering what everyone else is seeing.

In fact, since it's so hard dragging fish along when I'm covering lots of territory, I'm getting very choosy on my shots and am only after the really big ones. At times I've been surrounded by 1/2 dozen 30-33 inchers and I just swim away after enjoying the show. JJ's (Popo's son) 37-incher from last summer is still the record in our little group and I'm not too thrilled about a 16 year old holding that title so that's what I'm after!

I just popped Professor Peter Sorenson (U of M) an e-mail as to why we only seem to see carp in the 28-37 inch range in the big, clear metro lakes (Tonka and city lakes) and never anything smaller. We'll see if he's got an answer and I'll report back. As a hunter I'm certainly not complaining, just worried that there might not be a new generation in couple years!

As much as I like hunting carp, I really don't like killing them- wish I could somehow do shoot and release (I guess there's always the camera!).
just didn't get much hunting in this year either.. very sad. but, I'll try to make up for it this winter, closer to the equator.
stick what a year.
here is a big bluegill from stick on tonka.
it seems the gills are getting bigger on main lake.