MNScuba.com

Full Version: What's Wrong With My Ears? **Update**
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear Friends,
Thank you for the advice this past weekend to seek medical help for my ear problem. I am a health
care worker and have access to antibiotics, so last Friday night I started to take 150 mg of Cleocin
every six hours. By Sunday, my ears were "semi comfortable." I called the clinic first thing Monday
morning and got in today (Tuesday) at 4:00. The doctor looked in my ears and could see that the
right one was full of fluid and there were some tiny bubbles in it. That explains the gurgling sound
effects I was getting. Luckily, it was not pus, he said, but he said I had a chronic low grade otitis
something blah blah blah blah. It turns out that Cleocin would not have been his first choice of drugs,
but had the appropriate anti-bacterial spectrum and he would just kick up the dose to 300 mg four
times a day and hope my GI tract can handle it.
He said I probably had some "temporary eustacion tube insufficiency" that has allowed fluid to become
trapped inside the ear. I have to do the "blah blah blah" maneuver (pinch nostrils, blow, . . just like
when you equalize) ten times, ten sets a day.
I guess I won't be diving for a couple weeks at least. I will post an update in ten days when I
finish the Cleocin. Thanks again for your concern and good advice.
Eino Maki
Hi Eino,
thanks for the full report...sounds like you're on your way to recovery.
You keep equalizing those ears at least 100 times a day, you'll have your eustachion tubes so limbered up you could soon be freediving to -100' or so in just seconds.. forget the tanks ;D
Fred