MNScuba.com

Full Version: Solo Dive Cert
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

chrisw

So, what do you think of taking the SDI solo diver cert just to learn to be more self-sufficient?

Sound like "OK idea"? or "you got the wrong idea"? or "hell, no"? or "go ahead and kill yrself" ?

Or do you think self-sufficiency equates more with "good" skills and/or experience?

*donning asbestos suit*
I like the idea of Train and plan for a solo dive, but do it with a buddy!

You can wind up as a solo diver many different ways. I think learning more about it doesn't mean you have to intentionally do it.
I agree... Being prepared for a solo dive doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a solo diver.

However part of me thinks it's a good idea and part of me thinks it's another cert to get you to spend $$$.

If anyone has taken this course, it would be good to know if there are worthwhile things to learn from it. I would guess there are quite a few.

I don't think you need a course designed to make you more self-sufficient -- you need a better dive buddy. I don't view my buddy as a crutch. My buddy is my escape hatch, parachute, and fire extinguisher. I would rather learn and practice skills that help me save my buddy.

I have no problems with people that dive solo. If that is what you want to do then training may be important.
Last summer, I was going to dive off the coast of New Jersey and they require all divers to have a pony tank and reg. The divemaster that I talked to says it's necessary, because in an out of air situation you will never find your buddy in time. The divemaster said the visablity can get to less than 2 feet at times. I would think in diving situations like this it's a good idea to know some solo techniques, because you are practically diving solo.
I'm sure those divemasters deal with divers that have no buddy skills all the time. It seems to me that the pony bottles don't necessary solve any problems -- and may introduce new ones. If divers are running out of air or cannot stay with their buddy then maybe they should not be diving in those conditions.
I totally agree with Jason. I wouldn't even consider spending money and time on a solo diving course. Spend more time developing buddy skills with your buddy.
Actually, my experience with doing dives off of the Jersey coast has been that divers are relatively experienced. Most of the boats have minimum certifications and/or logged proof of dive experience.

As for any suggestion that those divers lack buddy skills, I feel that is incorrect. The conditions of the dives off of the coast make having a pony bottle or a set of doubles worthwhile. Varying currents and limited visibility mean that even very experienced divers can find themselves temporarily out of reach of their buddy. The entaglement hazards on the wrecks also make it desireable to have additional air should a diver need to spend additional time cutting themselves free.

Of course that's not to say that all divers are good, but to say that there are problems all of the time seems an overstatement.
O.K., so I'm kinda out of the norm here.. and outta the loop as far as my scuba knowledge goes.. but I always figure that going solo is o.k. if I keep to a shallow depth..but what should/could a max depth be for me if I'm scuba diving solo and have trouble and still want to get to the surface in one piece? And what is the time at depth factor again?? :Smile I have got to learn this scuba stuff. I think I'll be sitting down with the book again for a refresher...
Fred
Fred, I think the biggest problem with solo diving is that if you become unconcious for some reason and you have no buddy regardless of depth you are gonna die. Granted, your chances of survival aren't too good even with a buddy in a situation like that but it's still a lot better than with no buddy.
Pages: 1 2