MNScuba.com

Full Version: Magnetic switch and computers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a scooter with a magnetic switch for power. I know this affects the compass accuracy, but would it, or could it affect my computer or even erase it if it got too close to the magnetics?
I have an Aeris 750GT hoseless air integrated computer. Dove with scooter w/mag switch and had no problems with computer or air P signal.
Just a couple dives, but all was OK.
DanL
Where was your computer located in relation with the switch or magnetic field? I've been out with my scooter a few times and had no problem, but my computer was located on the opposite side of my body. Just wondering if it came in contact with the switch if it could damage the computer in some way?
Computer on left wrist, magnet in right palm. Note that I use right hand to activate keys on the computer, so the magnet would have been right next to the computer.
I don't think a stationary (slow moving,anyway) mag field does anthing to computers. Not that I'd try something with a super magnet to find out...
DanL

DRE

What kinda scooter do you have and how do you run it?

Usually with a tow-behind scooter you wear the computer/BT on the right wrist so you can look at it while scootering, and you have the compas on the left wrist away from the magneic field of the scooter (with a tow-behind you only hold on with one hand). The scooter won't affect the computer or BT.
I use a Tyger Ray with a button and thumb glove that needs to be in contact with the button. I also have a Tekna, but this does not have a magnetic switch.