MNScuba.com

Full Version: Long Hose problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have about 10 dives using the long hose set-up with single tank bp/h. I am having troubles keeping the long hose from floating up around my head. I've tried stuffing the extra hose under the belt of the harness, but it doesn't stay there very long. The constant effort to keep the hose under control adds another task that I don't need. Any suggestions ???

Jeff

Jeff, couple things. What are you using for a BC? Does it have a way to mount a small knife on the waist band on the right side? If so you could tuck the hose behind the knife sheath that hangs down below the belt. I dive with a BP/Wing and I put a hard backed pocket on the right side that I tuck the hose behind. Those are a couple options to look at depending on what you are using for a BC and what it has for mounting options.
If putting it under a knife doesn't work, you could get a shorter hose, 5' or 6' hose.

Derrick
I have the same problem with the "drifting - looping hose". Doesn't cause any problems though (not yet , anyway).
I am going to be using Lonnie's knife solution on the harness webbing. It seems to work great. I have looked at attaching it other ways , but they all defeat the purpose of having the long hose in the first place.

Jean Smile
You may want to experiment with different hose lengths. I use a 6' for open water, and 7' for doubles. With the 6' it just tucks under my arm and doesn't need to be tucked behind anything (although I am 6'3" so that undoubtedly helps). Somebody else I know uses a 5' for open water. If you don't have a canister light the 7' fits very nice behind the knife pocket to the left of the waist strap buckle. The loop over your head is caused by, as you say, extra slack on the hose.
Same Problem. I also noticed that I need to shorten the inflater hose for my bp/Wing. I was at Ginne Springs last week in the cavern and found that the hose would catch on the rocks easier then I would like.

I think I need to bring my gear into one of SD&T's gear config nights and get it all figured out. I assume they are still doing the gear config nights???
Actually they aren't doing the gear config. nights at the shop anymore, they're just incorporating that into the Wednesday night fun dives at Square. Wink

chrisw

Hmm, I seem to remember someone getting stuck in tree roots
at Wazee "wall" on a night dive... Wink

Hmm, I seem to remember someone getting stuck in tree roots
at Wazee "wall" on a night dive... Wink
[/quote]

SHHHHH...You weren't supposed to say anything about that. Wink I think with the turn that I made under that "scrub" I would have tangled a short-hose as well... :o

Jean
Hey skruff, we are starting gear config nights again in November, but anytime you want to stop by, we'll be glad to help you route your long hose. Also, Scott had the idea to have a photo and video night, which I would love to incorporate into gear config night. We could all show the pictures we have taken around MN and other places as well as any video people have shot. Possibly a photo contest too.
Pages: 1 2