MNScuba.com

Full Version: "Dry" cleaning those 1st stage screens.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off , I am certainly not any saint at keeping my gear clean etc..etc..etc... :Smile (So now that we got that out of the way):

Why do some people give the screen on their 1st stage such a "blowing" thru? It's amazing how some people just open up that old tank valve and proceed to do whatever. My question is: What are they trying to do? If you put the dust cap on soon enough after disconnecting the 1st stage , should you not be able to keep out the moisture/whatever you are trying to keep out of there? I guess this is something they saw someone doing along the way and just started doing it???
And it sure gets really loud sometimes. Especially on a small dive boat...Hurts the ears!!!

Again , remember. I am not trying to be critical of anything. Just trying to understand the reasoning.

Thanks again as always...
Jean Smile
Yeah, sounds like a waste of time to me Jean. There shouldn't be any moisture on the the little white screen filter. The air in the tank is dry. Could it be they were blow drying the protective cap or ball? Even in that case I wouldn't open my tank valve and blow my ear drums out just to do that. I'd just wipe it dry with my shirt or something. :Smile

chrisw

i also wonder if the pressure from the "blowing" wouldnt
just drive the water and any surface crud particles
into the screen?

(said the girl with the rental reg)

I have thought of the same things dere , don't ya know dere Rental Reg Girl!!!
It does seem actually like you could blow some crud inside.

Jean Smile
I used to open the valvle, just a bit, to blow the water off the cap before placing it on the first stage. You gotta remember, not everyone dives dry and a dry shirt is not always handy....

Then again, I guess I'm windy enough, I can blow the water off the cap without the aid of a high pressure tank.
This is a funny topic. I've heard and seen people doing this, but never really understood why (I don't think is was taught in 'open water'.

A few times I've found myself doing this because everyone else is . . . and I figure it can't hurt! And I never thought of asking "why do you do that?" Next time I will.

Is it advisable to do this 'cleaning' proceedure or not? Does anybody really know . . .
I know dry cleaning your remote door lock key fom comes in handy immediatly after taking it diving. :o Blow drying the internal parts is about the quickest and best way to dry them. Tongue

Dano, it's time you started diving dry if you're taking your keys to depth with you.
Blowing air into the screen on the first stage is definately not recommended. This is a very easy way to force the moisture you are trying to remove directly into the regulator. It is also not advisable to put a wet dust cap over your screen. The best way to dry it would be with a cloth or a piece of dry clothing. If you don't have anything dry handy, you can dry off the dust cap with a shot of air from the tank but make sure you position it so that it doesn't get directed into the first stage.