MNScuba.com

Full Version: Dive Lights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All, I really like night diving but only have a puny, 4 C-cell UW light. My back up is even smaller - a 4 AA cell light, practically useless!

I'd like to purchase a heavy-duty light, but don't have the experience in their use. All product information claims their light(s) to be the best - of course!

What advice / experience have you have?

Some specs me thinks of is: rechargable, longer than one-hour burn time, possibly HID (but the bulbs are mucho expensive), and somewhat light & portable. Oh, and under $1,000!

Thanks ~ Mark
I'm no expert in this area but I've been looking at lcanister lights after using one last week at square... Dive Rite and Halcyon both have lights under $1000. SDT has some Dive Rite lights with halogen heads for approx $400, they can be found on the net too but I prefer to buy from local shops.. >Gotta support local businesses to keep them going.

Other than that, it sounds like you and I have the identical lighting setup... Time to upgrade.
I've read some great reviews about the Terkel - Sollys canister lights. I've also heard great things about the Dive Rite's and Halcyon's. I definately would go with NiMH batteries with whatever light you decide to get though just because having a smaller less bulky canister is real nice.
Currently I'm using one of DanL's custom can lights with the NiMH batteries. It's working great but the burn time is a bit short (just under an hour) since it uses a 50 watt halogen bulb instead of HID. Maybe at some point I'll have to get an HID light head for it. Here is a pic of my DanL light.

I use the Dive Rite HID 10 Watt with NiMH mini-wreck canister. I've been very happy with this purchase. The canister is slightly larger than a pop can and I get 4 hours of burn time. Dive Rite also has excellent customer service. Last year it flooded on me and wrecked the bulb. I sent it back to Dive Rite and they warantied the bulb and had it back to me in just one week. Here's a link to their webpage.

In MHOP, Dive Rite's Wreck 1 is a great 10W HID unit. Tough as nuts, great illumination (available in both fixed and adjustable lens formats), and extremely well priced. I use the MR11 with gel cells. Four hour rated burn time, depending upon age and condition of the batteries. The NiMH format is indeed a superior battery as far as increased burn time and life expectancy but more pricey. Replacement bulbs for the 10W are @ $35. If you treat the head with care and follow the recommended usage guidelines, a bulb should last quite some time.

Check 'em out at:

Then visit your local dealer to learn more.
Ok, guess Dive Rite can send us our checks for the free product plugs, eh? Big Grin
Where are you getting bulbs for $35?
Mark,
We have rental HID canister lights if you would like to try before buying. I rent the MR11 10watt HID with 6 degree or 13 degree bulbs for $9/ day. Wednesday night fun dives are a great place to try these out. Check dive shop events for more info.

Happy Diving,
Richard