MNScuba.com

Full Version: Titanic Falling Apart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interesting tidbit on the rapidly deteriorating condition of Titanic. Bet ya Bob Ballad REALLY wishes he had taken salvage rights of her when he had the chance. I'm sure he and the Woods Hole Oceangraphic Institute would have implemented pretty strict visitation rights to manage the volume of visits and, at the very least, standardizations on how.

Check it out...

What do they really expect though? The ship is in salt water. It's not Lake Superior :Smile
At that depth, they've reported that the bio mass and ph concentrations are such that typical decomposition witnessed on steel hulls at lesser depths is signifigantly slowed. Hey, over two miles down it's gonna be a whole different ball game!

What I found interesting is the hypothosis that over fishing on the banks has "pushed" the phytoplankton (sp?) and other microscopic organisms down into these kinds of depths to find food. Interesting.
General "SCUBA" discussions?
Ok, this may end up under the Advanced section but just for giggles anyone wanna to take a crack at laying out a plan to dive her? OC/CC it doesn't matter. Assume your body could tolerate any P02 level...cause yer a genetic mutant SuperDiver and limitations like 02 levels don't exist. Also, let's see how many cubit feet of gas would be required to pull off the dive.
1 mile = 5,280ft. The Titanic sits 2 1/2 miles below the surface.
Let the calculators rip!
LOL! No doubt. I'm thinkin' that's just a hair over the depth limit for scuba. Big Grin
So how big of a drysuit inflation bottle would you need to take care of the tiny bit o squeeze you may possibly experience at that depth too.....
Oh yeah...good point, I never thought of that! Shoot, could you even keep any gas in a suit at that depth with that much pressure?
read what went behind making a dive to 1000 ft....

Scary...amazing he lived.