MNScuba.com

Full Version: PST e-series tanks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A couple of weeks ago I took my LP95 tanks in to get them inspected. Somewhere between last year and this year I picked up a wet load of air and as a result both tanks failed due to rust. On a side note, the tanks were never left competely empty and they were filled by a total of four places.

As a result I went looking for a new pair of steel tanks. The 95s are great singles in my opinion but I was looking to get something that I could double up if I get a wild hair. I looked at the Faber 108 and then at the PST E8-130s. Size wise they are pretty close to each other. The PSTs have the benefit of being rated for 3442 psi. At that fill they hold 130 cubic feet. At a low pressure fill they hold 106 cubic feet. Since I was looking for single first and making doubles later I went with the PSTs.

They came in to Scuba Dive and Travel late last week. I went in early this week to look them over. The one concern that I had was the slight reddish discoloration on a few small patches inside the tanks. PST has a disclaimer on their instructions that says this is possible and acceptable due to their manufacturing process. A call to PST confirmed this.

I took one out to Square last night to see how it would be compared to the LP95s that I had been using. Empty the tank is about 3# heavier underwater. Full it is a lot heavier. The tank is approximately the length of an Al80, but has a 8" diameter as opposed to 7.25". All in all it felt good. The one thing I really like about steels is that they spread the weight across a longer area, which I think makes maintaining decent trim a lot easier. It was easier to maintain trim with the 130 than with the 95s. There was no real side to side roll that I could tell when I turned to look up at things.

So, I'm happy with the purchase. One nice thing is that I didn't have to swap out tanks. A full 130 could probably do 3-4 dives at Square.

JoelW
If you don't mind me asking, how much does a single PST E8-130 cost? What type of valve? What do you mount the double tanks on? Thanks.
Failed hydro, or failed visual inspection? ???

If it's just a visual you can tumble them clean. Smile

If it failed hydro they can make a nice planter. Wink

Jon
Jon,

Failed visual, were blasted and due to pitting failed visual again.

Bummer.

Mark,

As far as cost on the PSTs, these were special orders, so the cost depended on a couple of things working in my favor at the same time. Ask Rich at SD&T about cost.

I already had the left and right ends of a Dive Rite isolation manifold on the 95s, so I ordered the tanks without valves. If I double them I already have some 2" SS tank bands and due to the weight of the tanks I will most likely use my Al plate as opposed to my SS plate.

JoelW