MNScuba.com

Full Version: Lake Superior?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How many divers venture into the cold water of lake Superior with a wet suit? I would imagine that most divers do it dry, but was wondering if one could dive some of the wrecks there wet without being too miserable.
I did two dives on the Madeira last year in a Henderson 7mil farmer john wetsuit. So yes, you can dive Superior wet but dry is definately preferable. Sounds like there are some nice thermoclines setup at the Madeira right now so get on out and dive while it's nice. When I dove it last year there wasn't much of a thermocline and I was pretty darn cold in the wetsuit but it was still "ok" for me. Smile
I should add that I dove the Madeira this year over Memorial Day weekend in May and the water temp was 36 degrees from the surface down (Very cold! :o) I had my new drysuit for that though. I would not have done the dives in a wetsuit with those temps. Especially with the long surface swim out to the wreck with no thermocline for relief. Like I said in my last post though, with the warmer thermocline right now a wetsuit would probably be alright.

chrisw

had a class at the Madeira on Aug 2&3. i dove dry
but the rest had 7mls. they said it was ok.

thermocline was upper 40s/lower 50s at 75ft

Still diving the Big Lake wet!!! I find it very refreshing. Planning a night dive this Friday to swim with the trout running, if you havent experienced that you should join us sometime!! 40 @ 40-50' pretty tipical right now.
Whoa! :o Must be rugged getting out of the wetsuit though with air temps in the 30's. You must have a high tolerance to the cold.
If your going to dive wet be sure to drink alot of coffee befor you dive.
So far Ive found the outside air tolerable but I have a friend who is pulling his enclosed trailer to the site with heat next time out, looking forward to a warm dry place to change!!!
Glad to hear it is bearable to dive the big lake wet, I know I cannot justify a dry suit, but would like to dive Superior. Unfortunetly I have not dove since '87, although I do snorkel through out the summer on a regular basis. I do plan on getting my act together and joining in on some dives next year.
Quote:.....although I do snorkel through out the summer on a regular basis. I do plan on getting my act together and joining in on some dives next year.
take it from me, you can still act like a scuba diver with just a snorkel too ya know Wink. this sounds like we're losing a freediver to scuba... just the opposite of my evil plan... Tongue
Fred
Pages: 1 2