MNScuba.com

Full Version: Helpful tips for a newbie?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Being very new to diving (so new my OW tests aren't until September), I am still trying to figure out this wonderful thing called SCUBA.
I would like to know, based on your experience(s), what are some helpful hints/tips that would have been useful to you starting out (PADI OW)?
Thanks in advance,
-Chad
The biggest thing I can recommend to a new diver is to SLOW DOWN. I've seen many new divers frantically kicking all over the place in some kind of hurry. Just relax, take it easy, and enjoy the underwater world. You'll see more and conserve air. Welcome to the best sport on Earth. Wink
Buy a backplate and wings rather than a jacket style BC. It's much more comfortable and not much more expensive. I just upgraded this summer and love it.
Kudos on the backplate and wing. They are definately the cats meow.
And yes , Slooooowwww dooooowwwwnnnn .....
Reeeellllllaaaaaaxxxxxxx........

It really works!!!!
And of course , welcome to diving...

Jean Smile
Read, read, read. I don't mean just your OW manual. Read this board. Check out online resources like scubadiving.com, scubaboard.com, etc.
Get as much training as you can afford - great learning at every step. Try different equipment, dive locations, dive buddies. Learn all you can from different sources.
And then, most importantly, "do it your way"
Learning the frog kick especially with paddle fins is a huge plus to avoid stirring up the silt.
Thanks everyone for the wonderful insights. Formerly being on a swimteam did make it a bit kind of difficult to learn to slow down. For years, I only had two speeds in the water, stop and sprint. lol. By the second day in the pool, I think I had that figured out though.
I might need to get someone to show me that frog kick with fins. Is that anything like the kick used in breaststroking?
You can always tell a newbie diver, we're always excited about every little thing. heh. Wink
Thanks again. I look forward to meeting you all sometime.